oil pump and head gasket!on a GL1200

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
gervais
Motorcycle: GoldWing 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

oil pump and head gasket!on a GL1200

Post by gervais » Fri May 18, 2018 5:19 pm

well
i add a bad news today,when my engine is idle it runs good but smoke like too much gaz.
if i raised the rpm at 3000 rpm,after a while and time too time i can hear from the right head ,,like knocking noise,,like if the oil pressure is going down BUT no noise from the left side.
the click,click,knock sound seems to come from the rocker at the right.the noise is coming and going ,,thats really bizarre.

i wonder is a blown head gasket would do that??

i will open my right head cover if i see something

The oil pump,can it be changed without taking out the engine??

thanks

gervais.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD (X2), 2008 GL1800 (sold)

Re: oil pump and head gasket!on a GL1200

Post by Rednaxs60 » Fri May 18, 2018 5:58 pm

Blown head gasket will generally result in oil in the coolant, oil is at a higher pressure than the coolant system. As for the knocking can be from lack of use and will sometimes clear itself up. These engines have hydraulic lifters and if these are weak you will get this noise as well, your bike is almost 35 years old. Find the oil pressure sending unit - you can tap in using some fittings and install an oil pressure gauge, have read of others doing this.

You may want to try Sea Foam in the fuel, but there is a Yamaha product called Yamalube Ring Free and from what I have been told it works extremely well. I'm giving it a try in the bike I'm just putting on the road. Here's a picture:

Good luck.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

gervais

Post by gervais » Fri May 18, 2018 7:24 pm

yes
this engine by what i heard was stopped for 2-3 years.

i have found that the temperature gauge went high,,also.
i will check to find the OEM thermostat and the sending unit that turn on the fan.i remember my fourtrax 350 had a problem that the fan was starting too late so the engine was really hot.

i will also buy the special coolant ,honda are selling some?? or is there any other brand that i could check?

thanks for the comments ernest
always interesting,i am trying to find the parts number of the yamalube

gervais

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:58 pm

Just about any coolant that is silicate free is acceptable, and they're all about the same price. Dexcool that can be found at Canadian Tire that is not pre mixed is silicate free. There is some Prestone products that are as well. Your local Yamaha dealer should have the Yamalube Ring Free.

Ernest

gervais

Post by gervais » Fri May 18, 2018 9:30 pm

when i changed the prestone here ,i add in hand some Prestone 2 Pre-mix but i will check if it is slicate free.

rethinking twice,it may well be some lifter that was discharges,i will check at W-M if the Shell T6 is in special,
a little syntech would help the engine that was neglegible par the previous owner.

thanks for the comments as always appreciated

gervais

gervais

Post by gervais » Sun May 20, 2018 9:38 am

well
it may well be one hydraulic lifter that discharge itself,,,
i was thinking about it last night and reminds me of the chrysler 318 v8 that was known to make this noise time too time.

now i must find a new thermostat and the coolant temperature sending sensor,,i am not sure one bit mine are working properly

gervais

gervais

Post by gervais » Sun May 20, 2018 6:35 pm

well
bad news!!!!!

i add to dismantle my 2 heads today.
yesterday it overheated enough too scrap the oil seal on the valve,,remember that this engine was stopped for years and i think it did not loved that one bit.

i wanted too see the thermostat so i dismantle the housing and i add a very special surprise.
i can see the thermostat BUT with a 1/8 hole at the upper part of the thermostat when you install in place.

i never see such hole except with a little ball that was a safety valve but this one is bizarre and NO indication of his temperature and no HONDA parts number at all.

so

i will have to change ALL the valve seal and the head gasket and 2-3 other gaskets.

i am checking for jobber,aftermarket headgasket but so far i have not seen many.

any place where i could have parts at a reseonnable price ?

thanks
Gervais.

ps i will install a Pilot light for the fan AND a by pass switch in case of !!!

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sun May 20, 2018 7:31 pm

The OEM thermostat has a hole in it and the hole is oriented at the top of the install. Allows for some circulation. Thermostat number is 19300-MG9-000. Should be available from Honda, but it is not inexpensive being a Honda part and all.

Here is a reasonable gasket set: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-GL-1200- ... Sw~FJZIvki

Considering two head gaskets from Honda are $150.00 CDN, this set gives you everything you need. CDN delivered is $142.00.

Here is a schematic for the fan light and switch:

Cheers

Ernest

gervais

Post by gervais » Mon May 21, 2018 7:23 am

well
thanks i just ordered this gasket kit,
it is quite complete,even the valve seal ,
i hope it is of some quality .

i have found the thermostat number in Napa 33488 or Stant 45868.

normally what level should be the coolant temperature on the dash board?

thanks 1000 times Ernest

Gervais

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:53 am

You are welcome. Let me know how the kit works, may need one myself. Good question on the temp scale. I would think 4-5 bars when on the highway, up to six on the scale. According to the owner's manual the normal operating range is between 2 to 8 bars. If you hit the ninth, shut down and investigate.

Ernest

gervais

Post by gervais » Mon May 21, 2018 8:11 am

thats what happened here,the temperature meter went so high,
by what i have found the thermostat could be the OEM ,95,000 km.

i took some pictures,the cylinders looks good,we can still see the trace of the ,pierre de cylindre,,i dont know the word of the tool when you scrub inside the cylinder,,,
piston look good.

one plug was oily so it suggested an oil seal and there was blues smoke soming out of the 2 exhaust ,,,

i suspect that the head gasket did not loved the extreme heat and blew also the OEM valve seal.

i found also to be rich in gaz,i changed the idle jet for "140 and i will get back at #135 ,i am not convinced it is necessary too enrich so much at idle and at middle rpm too.Anyhow it is becoming easy for me too take off the intake/carb kit .

i planned to register the bike in 2 weeks,,i think it will be delayed a bit.

Oh yes i will check for Low silicate prestone,the one i have used here was Prestone 2 but i cannot see any reference on the gallon where is written,,so i will buy a new one.In some point antifreeze is conductive of heat and cold,,,so if we dont use the good one who knows.

it well have costed me the headgasket/valve seal and all that comes with it.

gervais

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:50 am

Don’t believe the coolant had anything to do with the head gasket. Our bikes were produced in the days when car coolant was only available and the engines were designed with this in mind.

The OEM thermostat should still be good at 95 kms - don’t throw it out. Test it in boling water to see when it opens. A meat thermometer is good for this.

I think you mean the cylinder swirls/etching. I don’t know the terminology either. The tool is a cylinder hone.

An “oily” plug can also be a wet, soot covered as well. Too much fuel going into this cylinder - carb issue.

Have had my engine quite hit and haven’t gone through a head gasket yet. Never know though. My engine got hot because the rad fan did not turn on, temp sensor connector issue.

When you get the engine back together, use a set of vacuum gauges or a manometer to balance the carbs and cylindr banks. Will make a difference as well.

Good luck. Cheers

Ernest

gervais

Post by gervais » Mon May 21, 2018 11:51 am

well
all the spark plug are black,real black.

i will return to 135 jet ,they were sold by thousand and i dont think they changed these jets on all of them .i may have been to quick to changed the idle jet !!

this sensor for the fan and the radiator cap maybe suspect too.i have seen troubles of heaters in my automotive world because of the radiator cap so i will check for a replacement if i can find a parts number like at NAPA.
My rad cap is dirty,,,,

i am checking for the synchroniser meter now

i have quite a busy days ,,it's my wood stove time here,schainsaw,,maple wood,,,AND the GW!

Gervais

gervais

Post by gervais » Tue May 22, 2018 4:52 pm

Ernest
do you have a retailer in Canada of Honda parts? or a place where they are chrging resonnable shipping cost?

hondaparts-direct.com is charging 75$USD to send here,International Shipping they are writing!!

i will order OEM parts

thanks
Gervais

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue May 22, 2018 9:23 pm

gervais wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:52 pm
Ernest
do you have a retailer in Canada of Honda parts? or a place where they are chrging resonnable shipping cost?

hondaparts-direct.com is charging 75$USD to send here,International Shipping they are writing!!

i will order OEM parts

thanks
Gervais
You're lucky they still ship to Canada at all. The company I work for (a very large international e-commerce reseller) just stopped selling any product to Canada, because of the ridiculous and restrictive new regulations and restrictions Canada has imposed on the sale and import of goods. In order for us to sell to Canada, we would have to repackage and relabel almost every product we sell (and we have almost 60,000 different items). Just not going to happen. We still sell to every other country in the world, just not Canada.