GL1200 Darkside


Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
steve allen
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:51 am
Location: theodore, al
Motorcycle: 1987 1200 Aspencade
1994 GL1500 SE
1995 CB1000

GL1200 Darkside

Postby steve allen » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:00 am



any one running car tire conversion on 1200's yet? Any comments to reliability and price being alot less then MC tire. Starting to see a few wings running this (darkside) and say its the best thing ever. A close friend has run his on both wet and dry in North Georgia mountians and said he could not beleive how much better it is. I was informed that I will have to replace MC tire pulling camper across country, but will not have to with (darkside).....any thoughts?



User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 2864
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: GL1200 Darkside

Postby dingdong » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:48 am

I'm not sure about the 1200 and a CT. I'm wondering why someone told you to replace the MC tire in order to pull a trailer.???

Edit: Re read and I might have mis-read. I see no reason why you would have to replace the MC tire on a cross country trip. If the tire is in good condition the trailer won't make much if any difference. I pull a trailer with both my 1000 and my 1500 and see no difference in wear.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

steve allen
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:51 am
Location: theodore, al
Motorcycle: 1987 1200 Aspencade
1994 GL1500 SE
1995 CB1000

Re: GL1200 Darkside

Postby steve allen » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:20 am

dingdong wrote:I'm not sure about the 1200 and a CT. I'm wondering why someone told you to replace the MC tire in order to pull a trailer.???

Edit: Re read and I might have mis-read. I see no reason why you would have to replace the MC tire on a cross country trip. If the tire is in good condition the trailer won't make much if any difference. I pull a trailer with both my 1000 and my 1500 and see no difference in wear.

Wasn't to replace MC tire to tow trailer, the fact is that the load rating of stock MC tire is not enough to haul 2 well fed goldwingers, much less tow trailer. Heck, by converting 1200 rear end to 1500 rear end increases load by 107lbs I beleive. I'm just tired of paying 450-500 dollars to replace both tires.

User avatar
littlebeaver
Posts: 4420
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:11 pm
Location: Kansas City, Kansas
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: GL1200 Darkside

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:21 am

Will Insurance cover you if you have an accident with a car tire on it?

steve allen
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:51 am
Location: theodore, al
Motorcycle: 1987 1200 Aspencade
1994 GL1500 SE
1995 CB1000

Re: GL1200 Darkside

Postby steve allen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:38 am

littlebeaver wrote:Will Insurance cover you if you have an accident with a car tire on it?

Very good question.......I dont see why not, but this is my on thought. I want to check into this, many people are taking a great chance if this affects insurance.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17047
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1200 Darkside

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:46 am

I know a guy who runs a car tire on his 1800, and he called his insurance company with this exact question. Their answer was that they didn't care - as long as the tire was DOT certified, they didn't care what he had on there.

Your company might be different, of course.

User avatar
littlebeaver
Posts: 4420
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:11 pm
Location: Kansas City, Kansas
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: GL1200 Darkside

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:27 am

Now I'm completely shocked...I could see a Lawyer picking a person apart in a court case already..I don't think any jury in the Nation would side with a person using a car tire on their motorcycle..Just because they are not designed for motorcycle use.. I personally wouldn't mind using one myself but I want my family paid if I die in a crash..This sure looks like a great loophole..
Last edited by littlebeaver on Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mooseman
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:10 am
Location: Napa, CA
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 88k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 25K

Re: GL1200 Darkside

Postby Mooseman » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:30 pm

This is just my take on things. There are a lot of web sites for the darkside group. Most of them are for the 18oo Wing's a few for the 1500 and I think I saw some for the 1200. Me I'm not a fan of the darkside as I hustle my wing around a bit. Figured if the car tire was the cats meow the manufacture would take a hard look. It's MC tires for me.

Now as to load rating. I just installed a Conti-Tour rear tire on my 1200 WIng. Load rating 990 lbs. The Dunlop 491 I took off had a load rating of 908 lbs.
I use to tow a trailer for trips on my 85-A and never noticed any adnormal tire wear. There is just not that much tongue weight to make much of a difference in the overall gross load weight on a rear MC tire.

As for insurance; nope I'm not going there. :roll:

Just put on a back tire with a high gross weight and keep up on that tire presure, and just enjoy the ride. :D
Mooseman
Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.
Mooseman

User avatar
littlebeaver
Posts: 4420
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:11 pm
Location: Kansas City, Kansas
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: GL1200 Darkside

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:59 pm

Now you know why it's called the DarkSide..

steve allen
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:51 am
Location: theodore, al
Motorcycle: 1987 1200 Aspencade
1994 GL1500 SE
1995 CB1000

Re: GL1200 Darkside

Postby steve allen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:06 pm

Mooseman wrote:This is just my take on things. There are a lot of web sites for the darkside group. Most of them are for the 18oo Wing's a few for the 1500 and I think I saw some for the 1200. Me I'm not a fan of the darkside as I hustle my wing around a bit. Figured if the car tire was the cats meow the manufacture would take a hard look. It's MC tires for me.

Now as to load rating. I just installed a Conti-Tour rear tire on my 1200 WIng. Load rating 990 lbs. The Dunlop 491 I took off had a load rating of 908 lbs.
I use to tow a trailer for trips on my 85-A and never noticed any adnormal tire wear. There is just not that much tongue weight to make much of a difference in the overall gross load weight on a rear MC tire.

As for insurance; nope I'm not going there. :roll:

Just put on a back tire with a high gross weight and keep up on that tire presure, and just enjoy the ride. :D
Mooseman

just a thought.....Conti-tour is under fire just like goodyear wrangler, with seperation issues!

User avatar
littlebeaver
Posts: 4420
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:11 pm
Location: Kansas City, Kansas
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: GL1200 Darkside

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:45 pm

Just a thought, if they made motorcycle tires as well as car tires they wouldn't sell as many to us fools buying them every 10.000 miles or so, when car tires will last 50.000 miles or more on a bike..Kinda makes you mad don't it....I wanta 50.000 mile motorcycle tire darn it..You would think the company that came up with it would be the king of the mountain..

User avatar
Mooseman
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:10 am
Location: Napa, CA
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 88k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 25K

Re: GL1200 Darkside

Postby Mooseman » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:32 pm

"just a thought.....Conti-tour is under fire just like goodyear wrangler, with seperation issues!"

The only thing I could find was the car contitour tires and the goodyear wrangler are also car or light truck.
If you have a link for Motorcycle tires complaints and recalls I would love to take a look.
My friend with an 1800 is a darksider. He says they are great for going down the slab. His first try at it showed no increase in mileage over the MC tire. But as always your mileage may veri......
Mooseman
Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.
Mooseman

gingerbreadman
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:16 pm
Location: lowell michigan
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200Interstate

Re: GL1200 Darkside

Postby gingerbreadman » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:56 pm

I just joined the Darkside by putting a Firestone car tire on my 2F1R trike. No worries for me 'cause I'm not gonna be banking my trike into the twisties! We've designed a little
"bankability" into it, but for the most part it doesn't lean much at all.

Mark, AKA the gingerbreadman

submariner
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:41 pm
Location: Eagle Point, OR
Motorcycle: 1984 GL-1200 Standard

Re: GL1200 Darkside

Postby submariner » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:08 pm

OK, What is the "Darkside"? :? :arrow: 8-)
Submariner

User avatar
starfleetengineer
Posts: 329
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:02 pm
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Re: GL1200 Darkside

Postby starfleetengineer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:37 pm

steve allen wrote:
dingdong wrote:I'm not sure about the 1200 and a CT. I'm wondering why someone told you to replace the MC tire in order to pull a trailer.???

Edit: Re read and I might have mis-read. I see no reason why you would have to replace the MC tire on a cross country trip. If the tire is in good condition the trailer won't make much if any difference. I pull a trailer with both my 1000 and my 1500 and see no difference in wear.

Wasn't to replace MC tire to tow trailer, the fact is that the load rating of stock MC tire is not enough to haul 2 well fed goldwingers, much less tow trailer. Heck, by converting 1200 rear end to 1500 rear end increases load by 107lbs I beleive. I'm just tired of paying 450-500 dollars to replace both tires.

I am at a loss :shock: Why are you paying $450 to $500 to have the tires replace? I can replace mine for less than $100 each. I can do the work myself, but still it wouldn't cost that much.
How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17047
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1200 Darkside

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:59 pm

submariner wrote:OK, What is the "Darkside"? :? :arrow: 8-)


It refers to the guys who put car tires on their bikes (usually the rear tire).




Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo Slurp [Bot] and 4 guests