Progressives and False reading

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
24.4ZOOM

Progressives and False reading

Postby 24.4ZOOM » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:56 am

Just installed Progressives in the forks and changed oil. Used ATF and filled to Progressive's recommended level. Anti dive still set on 4, and the radical (to me) front end dive is gone upon hard stops. Some time ago, I rebuilt the rear shocks and used Progressive springs there too, but we still bottom out/scrape centerstand. When 2 up we are 2 rather well fed folks with "winter" gear. What I just noticed is this; the air indicator still indicates air in the forks, and when I command air to the rear, I see pressure rise, but ride height never changes. So, stuck solenoid? Stuck/dirty sensing valve? What I intend to do is rig a schrader valve on the hose that feeds air aft, you know, the one under the RH fairing lower. That will be my common starting point to see if rear shocks take air.Then troubleshoot air system and goofy indication. (Sigh) Sometimes I forget she's almost 25 years old.
The bike, that is.

Patrick

tricky

Re: Progressives and False reading

Postby tricky » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:16 am

24.4ZOOM

Postby 24.4ZOOM » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:31 pm

Yes, sir a most helpful post. That's how I serviced the air pump when I bought the bike about a year ago. I acquired more dessicant beads from our hearing aid provider. Same blue beads. This might be a heads up for those needing new dessicant. I have since investigated the air system a bit more. Aside from the false reading on the front which is probably something stuck or dirty, I loosened the hose to the rear and oil and air shot out while I watched the rear suspension collapse to normal height. Looks like either we go on diets or I spring for some 416s. Hmm which is easier. More when I learn more. Thanks Tricky

Patrick

24.4ZOOM

Postby 24.4ZOOM » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:07 pm

More on the suspension saga. Prior to overhauling the air pump and control system, I went ahead and pumped up the rears to 50 psi or so (indicated). Immediate difference in ride height and quality. This from my co-pilot. Now,for the front, with anti dive on 4, where it's always been, it felt like I had two pieces of pipe up there instead of a GoldWing suspension. Clicked anti dive to 2 and doublechecked oil level. A bit better now. What I'm contemplating is this: still run zero air and removing some fork oil (ATF) Progressive did say to put in whatever the manual called for just be careful of the level. I'm considering dropping the level maybe an inch, the theory being I would have more air spring, less non compressing oil. So, what does the board think? So far I have stuck to Progressives' notes, now I'm ready to draw on other's real world experience. Oh, as an aside, just today I tried to scrape the centerstand like usual, and didn't.

Patrick

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”