Engine almost out, clutch Question

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
CTInspect
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Aspencade

Engine almost out, clutch Question

Postby CTInspect » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:11 am

Is there a reason why the manuals say to pull the slave as one of the steps to pulling the engine? Cant the clutch hyd line be disconnected and then do the slave after the engine is out? What a grimy mess back there ...... :(

ekcyclerepair
Motorcycle: Various

Re: Engine almost out, clutch Question

Postby ekcyclerepair » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:27 pm

It can be done either way. By leaving the line installed, and removing the slave, you avoid having to bleed the hydraulic system. The clutch and brakes should be flushed every two years anyhow. So it's up to you. If you remove the line, be sure to replace the two crush washers to avoid leaks.

Just being nosey :D , why are you pulling the engine?

CTInspect
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby CTInspect » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:10 pm

:( Stator .... I seem to get alot of :lol: for doing it but I just didnt want to do a conversion. I'm actually enjoying it, the carbs are almost done, belts are here. Probably do the clutch, actually the tools and such in the manual, I may have someone do the clutch. I'd like to put in another Tstat and fan switch with a lower setting. And anything else that comes up. I have to start looking for some used parts too, cooling tubes look like %$#&, and a shift sensor, actually just need the wire from it so I can reroute when I put it back.
Basements heated up by now, so back to work.
Hey, Its almost winter, why not.

ekcyclerepair
Motorcycle: Various

Postby ekcyclerepair » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:46 pm

Yeah, stator was going to be my first guess :) . I'm with you on the conversion. It makes sense and look ok, but I always go with the new stator. As far as the clutch goes, you'll need the special tools if you want to torque the hub nut to the proper spec. If you don't mind "torquing" it with an air impact , you can get by with an air gun and the right size socket. Reminds me of an old mechanic friend of mine. He used to tell us the proper way to torque a bolt was "tighten it 'til it strips out, then back it off a quarter turn". He was kidding of course :D ,

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”