valve replacement or what?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
creekhound2
Motorcycle: 1987gl1200a aspencade

valve replacement or what?

Postby creekhound2 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:13 am

hello all.trying to get my pops wing up and going.have a problem with the left head. 60 pounds compression on both cylinders.we just bought it and is only showing 37,000 miles.we dont have much history on it.p.o. said he had the carbs recently done .stated it didn't need anything else.boy ,what a crock.bad coil,leaking vacum lines,nasty plugs just for starters.tried sea foam thru the carbs. may have helped some ,but #2 cylinder is dead. i checked the belts, they looked right on and probably original.forced myself to pull the left head .doesnt appear the exhaust valves on either cylinder have been seating too well.i really dont know how to move on from here,book says to have a dealer work the head over.any ideas or advice ? guess i should also state its a 1985 gl 1200 i. more food for thought,the other two cylinders are :#1,155 pounds,dry and #3, 95 pounds.great forum, any help is appreciated. thanks in advance,creekhound2.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: valve replacement or what?

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:27 am

Valves shouldn't be ground only lapped..compression should be close on all cylinders for good ride..within 10 lbs of each other. don't know the spec on 12000's but 1000's and 1100's 170 is prefect..160's very good, 150's good, 140's OK and under that they need compression work..but goldwings will run at 100..so up up to you. below 140's not good..bottom line. and # spread over 10 not good. If they are setting due to carbon lapping/cleaning will do it..slight bend??? they are trash..and what caused it the real issue..any nicks in the piston tops..would be a clue to hitting..timing off..belts jumped???
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

creekhound2
Motorcycle: 1987gl1200a aspencade

Postby creekhound2 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:22 pm

thanks for the quick reply.i took the suspect cylinder head down to my local harley guys and they pulled the valves for me.none of the valves looked all that good as far as seating.looks like a little cleaning and re-lapping should do the trick.i ordered new valve seals and gaskets for both sides.i would like to know what caused this to occur, but probably will never know.i will post my progress in hope someone else my benefit.thanks for this forum,keep up the good work.

Oletimer
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby Oletimer » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:54 pm

I just rebuilt my both heads on a 1985 1200A, some of the valves looked like they were not seating correctly, when I looked into the problem I found that the hydraulic tappets were gummed up with carbon particles so that they were almost impossible to compress at all. To cure this I flushed them with kerosene - it's not rocket science to flush em - but it does seem a bit extreme - I used a plastic box (stolen from her fridge :-)) this is roughly 6"x4"x2", 3/4 fill with kerosene, so as to cover the tappet when it is held upright, hold it upright and with a rubber or plastic headed hammer, tap the small end - you may need to tap it quite sharp if your tappet is as blocked as mine proved to be. As it clears you will see a jet of liquid shoot out of the upper vent and you will almost certainly see a change in colour as you eject the gungy oil and carbon from the spring and valve in the base of the tappet. I did all of mine - just in case, so that they all were operating ok. After the initial fire up, they filled and work beautifully. I first did my brothers 1200A and he then did a round trip from UK to Portugal and back without a problem - it even got rid of the slightly smoky running when on its side stand and ticking over.
I also took the opportunity to lap in the valves gently with fine paste and its been good up to now.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”