Whine when bike is moving forward

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1985 1200 Interstate

Whine when bike is moving forward

Postby cmarchman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:38 pm

I've checked the forum and wasn't able to find a topic similar to this, so here goes.

I recently completed the Poorboy Alternator Conversion and while I was down there, I replaced the timing belts, rebuilt the starter, and replaced the thermostat.
Now the issue or issues: I'm getting a rather loud whine from the front of the bike, sounds like it is around the front of the engine where the pulley was added that sits outside the timing covers. This noise only occurs when the bike is in forward motion and at speed. The pitch is in correlation with the speed of the bike and stops when at an intersection/traffic light. Engine speed doesn't seem to effect it, not does pulling the clutch in while at speed.

Next issue: The rear wheel feels as if it dragging a bit, however, I did not do anything to the shaft or engine alignment, at least to my knowledge. I did have to remove the exhaust to get the starter off the bike and remove the engine guards.

I have a strong feeling that I may have make the timing tensioners too tight so I'm looking into replacing those for S & G's.

Would the over tightened tensioners affect the shaft in any way as to cause the resistance in the rear wheel?

Still learning about my toy and want to keep her running for a long time.

Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1982 GL1100 STD
1976 GL1000 "800lb Canary"

Re: Whine when bike is moving forward

Postby goldtr6c » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:27 pm

Sounds like a set of Metzler 880s I had. If I didn't keep 'em pumped up to the max, they would whine when in motion. Even worst on the curves.

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Whine when bike is moving forward

Postby virgilmobile » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:00 pm

Response to (The pitch is in correlation with the speed of the bike and stops when at an intersection/traffic light.) I had a similar noise on a 1100.Found in the front fender 2 pieces of rubber about 4" long rubbing on the tire.Trimmed the offending part and the noise went away.Timing belts will whine if too tight,but are pitch matched to the RPM.Separate the moving parts to locate the noise.Centerstand the bike,Run the motor---rear wheel up,run the gears-----front wheel up,spin it.listen with a stethoscope if necessary.Virgil

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”