Teardown/maintenence time

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
knightflyer
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Teardown/maintenence time

Postby knightflyer » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:10 am

So I've got a '84 interstate GL 1200 that's been begging for maintenence for some time. Planning on tearing it apart next week but was hoping for some input on things.

Stuff I plan to do includes replacing the windshield, replacing timing belts, replace plugs, check the head (think I have a leak there), replace fuel lines, work on electrical, recover seat... my wife thinks I'm going to take over the garage for a day. I'll let her live in blissful ignorance for the moment... ;)

The belts are my biggest concern. How hard is it to replace these things? I've got the parts ordered, should be here soon.

Electrical... Oy... Battery slowly loses its charge, unless it doesn't... rather unpredictable and I've had to roll-start on more occasions than I like. :roll: I've also got this goofy situation where the turn signals don't like to blink when cold. As a ride progresses, they get better. Guy at the auto parts store said he suspected a bad ground? LED's for signals are on my wish-list, but I'm short on cash right now. Bike does sit outside, and we do have rabbits around... think the nasty little bliters might have chewed something?

cheers,
Dave

cheers,
Dave (knightflyer)
"While I may, I sail East in Dawn Treader." Reepicheep, Voyage of the Dawn Treader

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Teardown/maintenence time

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Flashers are mechanical, I'd throw an electronic one in there as a replacement and see if it fixes it - especially if you're planning on LED's.

Belts are not the scary thing people make them out to be. Yes, the punishment for making a mistake can be bad, but if you follow the directions, and only crank the engine by hand after fitting the new belts (to test), you won't be able to do any damage at all if you've got it wrong.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:13 am

Ref, your battery comment. Don't know how old your's is but, you should invest in a Battery Tender type battery maintainer. Battery Tender is a brand name, there are others. I got one of mine at WalMart. Plug it in everytime you park your bike in it's usual spot.
You can double the life of a battery using a maintainer. If you replace your battery, use the maintainer right away.
Note: Trikle chargers are NOT battery maintainers! My latest battery(original in the bike) is now 5years old and still load tests like it's new!

knightflyer

Postby knightflyer » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:29 am

tfdeputydawg wrote:Ref, your battery comment. Don't know how old your's is but, you should invest in a Battery Tender type battery maintainer.... Note: Trikle chargers are NOT battery maintainers! My latest battery(original in the bike) is now 5years old and still load tests like it's new!

Current battery is less than two years old, if memory serves. Of course, my wife has compared my memory to swiss cheese on occasion... :D I'd seen those (maintainers), but hadn't acted on it at all. I'll have to see if I can sneak one into the January budget. I've got a smart charger that I typically stick on the thing when I get home at the lowest setting. It shuts off when it's done. I can at least get the thing started that way. :)

cheers,
Dave
cheers,
Dave (knightflyer)
"While I may, I sail East in Dawn Treader." Reepicheep, Voyage of the Dawn Treader

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:07 pm

A smart charger is not the same as a battery tender. I thought it was originally...and after buying three new $100 batteries in three years, I decided to go and try one of the $25 Battery Tender Jr. devices. I plug the thing into my bike whenever it's parked in my garage, as well as leave it on the battery all winter long. I've just completed the third year on the same battery since I put it on the Battery Tender, and it's still running like brand new - so I'm sold. Well worth the price.

knightflyer

Postby knightflyer » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:21 pm

Arggh! So I have motorcycle pieces all over half the garage, and the wife wants it out of there *tonight*. Everything seemed to be going good as I set to work. Got the radio working for the first time ever, started poking around through the electrical, finding and removing dangling wires from lights that aren't there anymore, etc.

I've had an issue with my turn signals; they go into rapid blink when the brakes are on, but work okay when they're off. This is worse if the bike has been sitting out in the cold, and gets better as you ride? System is also very goofy about charging while riding which I think I mentioned in an earlier post.

So... Found this plug in the fairing under the left glovebox area. Not sure what it was or why it was sitting there unplugged, so I plugged it in. Suddenly the turn signals work great! Viola!... for about two minutes. Then everything dies - everything! No lights, no headlight, no power to starter... Can't find a burned fuse anywhere, but things seem hot on the fuse junction coming off the positive battery lead (the short one that's about 4" long).

Not sure what happened, but something got zapped. I thought I smelled something hot, but I had a soldering iron going and didn't realize something was cooking on the bike until it went "poof"...

Any thoughts?

cheers,
Dave (knightflyer)
cheers,
Dave (knightflyer)

knightflyer

Postby knightflyer » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:40 pm

By the way, the electronic flasher that someone mentioned earlier... is that something you could get at any parts store, or something I'd have to track down that is GW specific?

Dave "learning as I go" Steele

Glad this bike isn't worth a lot or I'd be a lot more upset about having killed it! :D
cheers,
Dave (knightflyer)

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:44 pm

I am sure you have not killed it, we will get it going.. You can pick an electronic flasher up at any car parts store, it's not specific to the wing.. Don't give up just yet :lol:

Gary

knightflyer

Postby knightflyer » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:48 am

It was the main fuse; melted away on one side so it looked intact, but wasn't. Not sure what caused it to blow though. I reseated everything, brought it back online and it doesn't show any indication of blowing again. In the words of Elmer Fudd "There's something screwy going on..."

I'm going to try to get an electronic flasher as soon as I can scrap the money together. My wife keeps on whining about paying for less important things first, like the mortgage.... yah yah yah... no house payment, no house, no garage to wrench in. You win dear... :mrgreen:

cheers,
Dave
cheers,
Dave (knightflyer)

Mooseman
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 86k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 24K

Postby Mooseman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:12 pm

Battery tender, YES! Good investment. They even have ones for outside.
I am not sure but I think the flasher on a 1200 will not except one from the autoparts.
Here is a article on changeing them over. Also covers LED light flashers.
http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopi ... =55&t=6299

While you are at it bypass the main fuse and wire in a auto fuse. You can buy them with the rubber holder and lead wires. Just keep the rating the same.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2103778
Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.
Mooseman

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:07 pm

knightflyer wrote:Arggh! So I have motorcycle pieces all over half the garage, and the wife wants it out of there *tonight*. Everything seemed to be going good as I set to work. Got the radio working for the first time ever, started poking around through the electrical, finding and removing dangling wires from lights that aren't there anymore, etc.

I've had an issue with my turn signals; they go into rapid blink when the brakes are on, but work okay when they're off. This is worse if the bike has been sitting out in the cold, and gets better as you ride? System is also very goofy about charging while riding which I think I mentioned in an earlier post.

So... Found this plug in the fairing under the left glovebox area. Not sure what it was or why it was sitting there unplugged, so I plugged it in. Suddenly the turn signals work great! Viola!... for about two minutes. Then everything dies - everything! No lights, no headlight, no power to starter... Can't find a burned fuse anywhere, but things seem hot on the fuse junction coming off the positive battery lead (the short one that's about 4" long).

Not sure what happened, but something got zapped. I thought I smelled something hot, but I had a soldering iron going and didn't realize something was cooking on the bike until it went "poof"...

Any thoughts?

My thoughts:

- Tell the wife that the garage belongs to you (being the man) and that she should worry about the mess in the sewing room, or whatever. (Consult a good divorce attorney, first)

- The faster blinking of the turn signal when brakes are applied says to me "poor ground." If the ground is poor, and is acting as a resistor, then it can only handle so much current. Add the output of the brake light to that ground, and you've reduced the available grounding for the turn signal, which means less current going through the flasher, which means it flashes faster. Find the bad ground common to both the turn signal and the brake light and I think you'll solve this problem.

- The plug in the fairing - what color was it, and how many connectors did it have? Better yet, can you post a picture of it?

- Ditto to what was said earlier about the main fuse - replace it with a blade fuse.

imfree
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Postby imfree » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:07 am

My 82 wing had these problems,The turn signals work when they felt likeit,the battery would go dead for no reason, Found the problem was at the engine mount where the ground connects from the battery,The bolt was not tight.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:34 pm

Anytime there are multiple unexplained and seemingly unrelated electrical problems, the first place I look is the ground.

knightflyer

Postby knightflyer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:05 am

Had to take a long break (brake? hehehe... ) from wrenching for less important things like fixing house stuff so it will sell. BUT I'm back at it now. The flasher mentioned above was/is a 3-blade unit, so it looks like a previous owner already did the upgrade that Mooseman mentioned. I ordered an electronic one for two bucks. For that price, didn't figure I could go TOO wrong.

Tonight I'm going to rip apart the ground and look for corrosion & stuff. I saw some cables on clearance at Walmart, so if they have the right length I'll probably just replace the battery to ground wire. Ditto the starter wire. If I can find my VOM, I'm going to see what kind of output I'm getting from the current alternator. Did I mention that I have two little boys who are fascinated by daddy's tools? Oy... :D

I had previously pulled apart various electrical going to lights that didn't exist anymore and I'm trying to close up everything like that which could short out the system and keep it from charging or worse.
cheers,
Dave (knightflyer)

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:14 am

It's always fun cleaning up electrics after multiple previous owners have played with them :oops: !! Keep your chin up, you will get it sorted and end up with a nice reliable ride :D ..

Gary

knightflyer

Postby knightflyer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:34 pm

thrasherg wrote:It's always fun cleaning up electrics after multiple previous owners have played with them :oops: !! Keep your chin up, you will get it sorted and end up with a nice reliable ride :D ..

Gary

Can you say "copper spaghetti" ? :lol:
cheers,
Dave (knightflyer)

knightflyer

Postby knightflyer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:31 pm

So... there's this plug to the left of the battery, which I seem to recall reading as a problem spot. I decide to pull it apart. 10'ish minutes, a broken keeper tab, and some cussing later, I finally get the darned thing apart. What I found inside just doesn't strike me as good.

Could these be the cause of my battery not taking a charge from the bike?

Male Plug
Male Plug

Female Plug
Female Plug
cheers,
Dave (knightflyer)

knightflyer

Postby knightflyer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:05 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Flashers are mechanical, I'd throw an electronic one in there as a replacement and see if it fixes it - especially if you're planning on LED's.

Belts are not the scary thing people make them out to be. Yes, the punishment for making a mistake can be bad, but if you follow the directions, and only crank the engine by hand after fitting the new belts (to test), you won't be able to do any damage at all if you've got it wrong.

Got the new belts in. Turning it over by hand was probably an engine saver... Eventually got everything to line up nicely, and it turns over okay by hand, then I let the starter turn it for a couple of seconds/no plugs/kill on. Seems smooth, but haven't fired it up yet because of the electrical rabbit hole I've ventured down. :D

I bought fuel lines, but may wait a bit to do that. I want to get the thing running since it is really my main commuting vehicle.

Night everyone!
cheers,
Dave (knightflyer)

knightflyer

Postby knightflyer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:45 pm

I found some 1w 914-compatible LED's online, so I ordered some of those for my little lights (which add up at 4watts x 12 = 48 watts!). When I get them, I'll post pics so you'll know whether they were worth it or not. 8-)
cheers,
Dave (knightflyer)

Mooseman
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 86k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 24K

Postby Mooseman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:14 am

Nice looking plug.......WHOA!!!!!
Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.
Mooseman

imfree

Postby imfree » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:08 am

Time to replace the that plug.

imfree

Postby imfree » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:19 am

I think my computer is messing up ,The last post was supposed to say time to replace the plug,That thing looks like it got way to hot,Its probaly just me,Its too early,I need coffee,Should I wake the war department and tell her to make coffee?No I will do it my self save the battle for later.

knightflyer

Postby knightflyer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:43 am

Yep, just a wee bit too hot. :shock: I rather suspected that was what I was going to find when I couldn't get the bugger to come apart with anything approaching ease. I probably won't get much chance to wrench on this thing tonight (I have a Christian men's group right after work until 7:30), but I'm hoping to get it all threaded back together to a ridable state tomorrow when I'm off work. At least I feel like I'm making progress now.
cheers,
Dave (knightflyer)

thrasherg

Postby thrasherg » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:22 am

We are all rooting for you.. That 3 pin alternator plug is past it's best!! :lol: You should consider soldering the 3 wires together (in a permanent join) and covering with heat shrink sleeving to keep the joints sealed from the elements. There is a lot of current flowing in those 3 wires and a connector will always have a higher resistance than a good solder joint!! After all this work, she should run beautifully and give you many hours fun riding..

Gary

knightflyer

Postby knightflyer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:43 am

thrasherg wrote:We are all rooting for you.. That 3 pin alternator plug is past it's best!! :lol: You should consider soldering the 3 wires together (in a permanent join) and covering with heat shrink sleeving to keep the joints sealed from the elements. ...

I think that's how I'm going to go (solder the buggers) after reading this and other posts to that effect in the forum. That plug definitely went Chernoble on me. I'll have to pick up some heatshrink tonight, but then I can knock that out and start putting things back together. The challenge will be remembering where everything goes... :D

During last night's session, under the right glove box (inside the fairing) I found what looks like an unused rocker switch and an old wasp's nest. Makes me wonder what the weirdest thing everyone else has found in their fairing was?

cheers,
Dave (knightflyer)

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”