check the antifreeze in a 1985 goldwing

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Please Support our Sponsors!

check the antifreeze in a 1985 goldwing

Postby midnightrider1 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:19 pm

Hello everyone

Could someone tell me how to check the antifreeze in a 1985 goldwing :? . I have no clue at all. I just bought the bike and I am lost can anyone please help me???
Frank

midnightrider1

Motorcycle: 1985 1200 Goldwing Interstate

Re: check the antifreeze in a 1985 goldwing

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:29 pm

Check how - check the level? Check the condition?

If you don't have any suspicion that anything is wrong, and just want to assure yourself that the level is correct, you check it in the coolant reserve tank. Open the false tank lid, and you'll see it on the right side. The low/full markings are near the rear of the tank.
WingAdmin
Site Admin

Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:44 pm

WingAdmin,Is the radiator cap in the same place as my 1100?It was easier to pull the false tank to get right to the radiator to test glycol levels.I'm not sure if I'd test glycol levels in the overflow tank because the fluid remains largely stagnate(Is this too anal?) Thanks Virgil
virgilmobile

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby midnightrider1 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:19 pm

Thanks guys
I couldn't see the radiator cap but I will take a better look tomorrow maybe sooner I did find the over flow. I check it there for now I know you said that may not be acurate but it gives some relief. I will have more questions to ask as I go along wish I had a warm place to work other than my front portch where I have it covered up. :D

Frank
midnightrider1

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:05 pm

virgilmobile wrote:WingAdmin,Is the radiator cap in the same place as my 1100?It was easier to pull the false tank to get right to the radiator to test glycol levels.I'm not sure if I'd test glycol levels in the overflow tank because the fluid remains largely stagnate(Is this too anal?) Thanks Virgil

Yes, it's up in front of the reserve tank, same as the 1100.
WingAdmin
Site Admin

Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby midnightrider1 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:36 pm

Hello Everyone

I did find the radiator cap and it is in front of the false tank next to the neck or front end I remove a cover and was able to get to it. I was able to get a reading but it is low on antifreeze but tested 40 below. I need to add some I do believe cause I am in the process of trying to get it started again if I get a warm enough day. So what type of antifreeze should I use never had a fluid base bike. Also does my lights suppose to come on when I turn the ignition on also I hear a fan running that don't help matters either.
Like I say I know nothing about Honda's I am a old school 1950 panhead Harley rider. So tell me the how to's LOL cause I sure am lost but gaining ground. LOL Will be 59 come April been threw cancer and other health issues want to ride again while I can LOL :D

Frank
midnightrider1

Postby HALBUDD » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:00 pm

Hey midnightrider 1 yes the lights do come on when you turn key to start but unless motor is hot your fan should not be running. If your bike has been setting for a long time there are some things you need to do before trying to start it or ride. Oil change replace air filter,fuel filter, rear end fluid. Also plugs and of course the timing belts if you dont know when they were done. Check to make sure motor will turn (by hand) if not put some type of oil in all 4 spark plug holes to free up the heads.As for antifreeze best to use a motorcycle one if not then one that does not have any additives as they can damage your pump and system. this should get your project started for now. Im sure you will have many more questions. p.s. make sure that the oil you use is for motorcycles as your clutch is a wet clutch sets in it . Hope this helps Im sure the other guys have a lot more info for you. Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!
HALBUDD

Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby midnightrider1 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:26 pm

Hey HALBUDD

The guy I bought this from rode it up on the trailer for me. It was running when I got it but I didn't hear no fan running when he started it. Looks like at one time and I didn't see this till I got home that maybe the timing belt may have broken at one time. Why I say the on the left side of the belt they some metal tape covering up the center seal.
I have it setting on my front porch cover up here in SW, Missouri I may have gotten taken on this buy. Yes I want to check every thing out and see why that fan is coming on. Yes I want to change all the oil and fluids and things but working outside in the winter sucks. LOL Maybe I bit off more than I can chew. But with some help I will be learning new things and what to do. It looks like a nice bike but looks don't get ya down the road. Battery was down and it low on acid so added water to it charge right up. But the cold and the snow is coming and its Christmas time and this was my Christmas for me and now I am trying to figure it all out slowly but surely. Yes I do need to squirt a little oil down in the cylinders if I don't turn it over But I believe I will try to at lease turn it over every 2 couple of weeks I have the battery in the house for now freezing rain and snow headed this way tonight.

Frank
midnightrider1

Postby HALBUDD » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:11 pm

Frank Just keep telling your self that hey wait till its summer and your out ridding on your goldwing it will all be worth it. dont sweat the little stuff,it will all work out in the end just take your time dont think of it as a chore just a new thing you have not tried yet. You will love ridding your bike as I love getting on mine and just going for a ride. There are a lot of good guys here and a lot of how to dos,if ya cant figure it out just ask. And send some pics. love to see your bike kinda before and after again dont sweat it and have fun with your new love. Hal
HALBUDD

Postby midnightrider1 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:10 pm

Hi HALBUDD

Yes its a new adventure and yes it won't be all that long to summer.
I didn't know a thing about my 1950 panhead chopper I built from ground up.
So now I am learning how to do a Honda. Yes I want to be able to ride and
I know I can do this I am a pretty good mechanic.
Ill have to see how to upload a picture.
I did see them how to do things. Glad there there.

Merry Christmas

Frank
midnightrider1

Postby HALBUDD » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:28 pm

Good to here that keep us posted on our progress I know its hard to work on anything when its cold. To bad you cant bring it in the house, if I tried it my wife would kill me. I just went to NAPA auto parts and orderd 2 sets of timing belts for my wings plan on doing both bikes this winter. Only good thing is I have a big garage and I can fire up my propane heater to keep the garage a little warm. If you get some pics. from your camera uploaded to your computer just use the attachments and browse to find your pics . Stay warm and merry xmass Hal p.s just saw your picture of your bike looks nice send some closeups if you can.
HALBUDD

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:47 pm

The cooling fan should only run when the motor reaches about 180 or so. The fan has 12 volt applied to it as soon as the switch is on,the fan is turned on by a thermal switch that shorts when hot.when cold the switch should have no continuity between it's contacts or short to ground.Test the fan circuit by unplugging the connector,the fan should stop.one wire goes to ground,the other comes from the fan and have 12 volts on it with the key on.Short that wire to ground to test the fan .The thermal switch may be bad or the wire from the fan pinched in the metal covers.If the switch is bad and you can't find one.I have a couple laying around.Remember this engine is all aluminum.It does not survive overheating well.Be sure the cooling system is 100%.Check the water pump(easy)replace the thermostat(not so easy)But you'll be near it with the fan switch anyway.The switch and thermostat are dead center and right behind the radiator(yuck).Yes a non silicate base antifreeze is recommended(the aluminum factor)I personally recommend a alkaloid based motor oil verses a paraffin base oil eg:Castrol 20-50.Same reason.Paraffin based oils leave that yellow thermal blocking film in the aluminum block(some magic chemical reaction with heat,paraffin and aluminum)..These are my own opinion and worth the electric it took to post it.Virgil
Attachments
virgilmobile

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby midnightrider1 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:41 am

Thanks HALBUDD & virgilmobile
For all the advise I am aiming to check it all out. I have a propane heater just no garage to work in yet but working on that.
I also want to say thanks for the attachment. Yes I don't want the motor to run hot that for sure don't want no motor to run hot bad things happen and things go bad if no antifreeze also. Like I told my son n law about his V6 truck and he just had water in it. Told him if he is very lucky your motor may be still good.

Yes I am gonna be all over this bike with a fine tooth comb ASAP but for now its just got to sit dog gone it. After being threw cancer and surviving it I cannot take the cold like I use to do when I was able to work and I work outside year round.
Looks like I will be making a trip to the Honda dealer or shop to get antifreeze so I will know for sure I will have the right type so far I haven't found no leaks. Wasn't no leaks when it was after it was ridden up on the trailer. But I am gonna check that switch out and the wires I didn't think the fan should of came on as well as you all say it needs to reach a certain temp before fan comes on.

I can do this I am gonna do this. I gave $1000.00 for it hope that wasn't wasted lol but I will make it work if I have to rebuild the bike. Just need to pick up a manual also that will along with this group and its how to's and answers from great people that are here. I am a old school guy so I can do this. LOL

Merry Christmas to all

Frank
midnightrider1

Postby HALBUDD » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:49 pm

Hey Frank if go to the top of this you will find manuals for your bike if there not up anymore try goldwing chrome web site they also have good downloads for all manuals. I uploaded the complete shop manual and all others dealing with 84 &85 aspys this should help alot as you can look at the manual to see where everything is located and what it will take to get to it. Hal
HALBUDD

Postby midnightrider1 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:11 pm

Hello HALBUDD

Hey thanks for the downloads sites the other day it would let me down load them I got them now. Woo Hoo
save me some $$$$$ that's for sure.
Now if I could download a garage I would be set. LOL
Get me some tarps and enclose my porch maybe wonder what my neighbors would say. LOL
I don't care what they say. LOL It's a ideal. :D

Frank
midnightrider1

Postby HALBUDD » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:08 pm

Frank about the tarps try and get a green one and a red one put them up if anyone asks tell them is just your xmas decorations haha lol Hal
HALBUDD

Postby midnightrider1 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:14 pm

Lol that sure would do the trick for sure. I live in a very small town anyway 2 country blocks from the square.
I sure been thinking. LOL suppose to get some warm weather but not enough lol.
I know I want to get everything out of the way so I can see what behind all these plastic parts then I can get
my hands a little dirty and see whats up with the fan motor and go from there one step at a time.
I know it runs and that's how it was loaded but other than that. That's all I know for sure.
If I get in a warm place I will have a lot better luck and the tarps sounds good.

Frank
midnightrider1

Postby midnightrider1 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:30 pm

Been looking at my metal shed its big enough just need to make room for it. Gonna start Monday on that project.

Frank

midnightrider1

Return to GL1200 Information & Questions