Timing Belts

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1985 1200 SE

Timing Belts

Postby MajicMrEd » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:44 pm

I bought this 1985 Aspy it had been sitting for at least 3 years at present I am working on the Carbs and coils trying to get some life signs out of the old girl.
The question I have for the time being it came with never been installed timing belts.
But the belts are at least 3 years old as well are they still good or do they age and continue to deteriorate even if they have never been installed on the bike.
More questions to come

Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: Timing Belts

Postby cbx4evr » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:59 pm

Rubber does deteriorate with age. Really depends on how they look and how they were stored. If they were stored away from excessive heat and sunlight they may be okay. They should be flexible and have no cracks. Question always comes down to: Are you willing to risk the engine over a couple of timing belts??
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade

Postby 86GW1200 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:38 pm

Related question: Is the cheater tool worth the cost/does it work? I would rather not pull the radiater.

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:04 am

The manufacturers of the belts I supply state self life in original packaging if stored correctly should not exceed five years. The original pack will probably have a date on it, but is that the date of whatever is in the pack?
For all the cost , why take the chance on something you don't know for sure. Believe me, you would not like the cost of repairing an engine of a belt goes when you could have done it for so little.

Do yourself a favour and pull the radiator too. It gives you so much more room to work and the opportunity to flush out the cooling system properly.
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing 1200 SE-i Aspencade
2009 audo comfort

Postby tech1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:39 pm

Hi I just replaced my belts and its not a difficult job if you have some mechanical skills. I am an ASE certified Master technition. I suggest removing the radiator and while out put a thermostat in. Get O-rings for that housing and the water pump inlet housing too. It's easier to remove the radiator and just un bolt the water pump inlet houseing to pivot the radiator out easy. Like I said while you are there replace the thermostat if you don't know when it was last replaced.
Next fork seals . Anyone with suggestions for this job and any special tools?
Thanks Joe

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”