pulling a GL1200I engine


Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
starfleetengineer
Posts: 329
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:02 pm
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

pulling a GL1200I engine

Postby starfleetengineer » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:08 am



I have read the manual and read some posts and it sounds like pulling the engine might be kind of hard. Is this true? I have to pull mine because of a stator malfuntion and now noise in that area! The book says I don't have to pull the rear end and tank off. But others have said you have too. I know it gives more cleanace with the tank out, but can it be done without removeing it? If I take the rad out and pull off the cam gears will this work ok?

Thanks guys!!!


How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

User avatar
arkansassuperdrafter
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:21 pm
Location: Magnolia, Arkansas
Motorcycle: 1985 Gl1200 Interstate
1986 Gl1200 Interstate

Re: pulling a GL1200I engine

Postby arkansassuperdrafter » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:18 pm

I just replaced the engine in my 86 interstate. It's not too difficult. You have to pull the false tank and remove the carbs first. You also have to remove the rear wheel and final drive. If you have a manual, it should give you the details to remove.
Bryce
85 and 86 Interstates

User avatar
starfleetengineer
Posts: 329
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:02 pm
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Re: pulling a GL1200I engine

Postby starfleetengineer » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:42 pm

arkansassuperdrafter wrote:I just replaced the engine in my 86 interstate. It's not too difficult. You have to pull the false tank and remove the carbs first. You also have to remove the rear wheel and final drive. If you have a manual, it should give you the details to remove.


Ok. I know about pulling the false tank and pulling the carbs. But I do have the manual for a 1984 GL1200. and it dosent say a word about pulling the rear wheel or the gas tank. It states pulling the carbs, exh, false tank, rad and fan and pulling the cam gears and also pulling the lt. sub frame. Now I'm really not sure what way to do it. Is an 84 diffrent than a 86? Thanks for some help, but I think it just made me wonder more....
How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

User avatar
arkansassuperdrafter
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:21 pm
Location: Magnolia, Arkansas
Motorcycle: 1985 Gl1200 Interstate
1986 Gl1200 Interstate

Re: pulling a GL1200I engine

Postby arkansassuperdrafter » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:20 pm

You don't have to pull the gas tank, but you do have to pull the final drive and drive shaft. The procedure for a 84 should be the same as all 1200's. Is the manual you are looking at a Honda shop manual?
Bryce
85 and 86 Interstates

User avatar
starfleetengineer
Posts: 329
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:02 pm
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Re: pulling a GL1200I engine

Postby starfleetengineer » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:18 pm

arkansassuperdrafter wrote:You don't have to pull the gas tank, but you do have to pull the final drive and drive shaft. The procedure for a 84 should be the same as all 1200's. Is the manual you are looking at a Honda shop manual?


The manual I have is the Honda Goldwing 1200 Clymer Repair Manual 84-87. It says when I pull the engine from the lower mounts, turn it to the left to pull the drive shaft out.
How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

User avatar
Mooseman
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:10 am
Location: Napa, CA
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 88k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 25K

Re: pulling a GL1200I engine

Postby Mooseman » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:59 pm

starfleetengineer,
I just replaced the stator in my 86 not to long ago and have done an 85 way back when. I removed the side covers, disconnected the battery, the seat, false tank, lower faring covers, air filter and housing, drain engine oil and coolant, left and right engine guards, radiator, fuel pump and filter, carburetors, exhaust system, right timing belt cover, when disconnecting any wires or vacuum hoses make sure you mark them with tape, clutch slave cylinder before removing zip tie clutch lever to handgrip this will keep from accidently squeezing it while disassembled. Some of the wires have plugs up around the steering head on the left side. I supported the engine on a rolling floor jack and a piece of wood. Actually it was a balance act. Then its time for the front engine mount and the rest of the mounting bolts. The left side of the frame comes off which is where the engine turns out to clear the frame. Get a couple of friends or neighbors to help. One to hold the bike steady as it's on the center stand (I also put the center stand on a piece of plywood to give a little more clearance), and another to assist with engine removal. As you push the engine forward a little you can slide the drive shaft off and out of the way. Now work the engine out of the frame. Piece of cake you hope.
Get a service manual and just follow the steps. You don't need to remove the rear tire or drive hub. Upon reassembly be sure to lube the drive shaft splines with Molly grease.
Any questions or prblems give me a shout.
Mooseman
Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.
Mooseman

User avatar
starfleetengineer
Posts: 329
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:02 pm
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Re: pulling a GL1200I engine

Postby starfleetengineer » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:42 pm

Mooseman wrote:starfleetengineer,
I just replaced the stator in my 86 not to long ago and have done an 85 way back when. I removed the side covers, disconnected the battery, the seat, false tank, lower faring covers, air filter and housing, drain engine oil and coolant, left and right engine guards, radiator, fuel pump and filter, carburetors, exhaust system, right timing belt cover, when disconnecting any wires or vacuum hoses make sure you mark them with tape, clutch slave cylinder before removing zip tie clutch lever to handgrip this will keep from accidently squeezing it while disassembled. Some of the wires have plugs up around the steering head on the left side. I supported the engine on a rolling floor jack and a piece of wood. Actually it was a balance act. Then its time for the front engine mount and the rest of the mounting bolts. The left side of the frame comes off which is where the engine turns out to clear the frame. Get a couple of friends or neighbors to help. One to hold the bike steady as it's on the center stand (I also put the center stand on a piece of plywood to give a little more clearance), and another to assist with engine removal. As you push the engine forward a little you can slide the drive shaft off and out of the way. Now work the engine out of the frame. Piece of cake you hope.
Get a service manual and just follow the steps. You don't need to remove the rear tire or drive hub. Upon reassembly be sure to lube the drive shaft splines with Molly grease.
Any questions or prblems give me a shout.
Mooseman


thanks Mooseman!!!
Thats almost what the manual says... I was hoping it was right.. Now I feel better about pulling it. Just need the kids to come out and help hold the bike. thanks for the tip on puting it on a board to get it up higher!!!!
How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

User avatar
Mooseman
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:10 am
Location: Napa, CA
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 88k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 25K

Re: pulling a GL1200I engine

Postby Mooseman » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:12 pm

You can also put the same size board under the front tire to keep the bike more stable with a little stop to keep the bike from rolling forward. When you undue the boot at the rear of the engine be careful of the large round spring that fits around it. I have trouble explaining all this but soon you'll be a pro. I think the biggest trouble I had was getting to some of the wiring plugs between the faring and the steering head. I have big ol cleats.......LOL
Mooseman
Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.
Mooseman

User avatar
starfleetengineer
Posts: 329
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:02 pm
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Re: pulling a GL1200I engine

Postby starfleetengineer » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:12 pm

Mooseman wrote:You can also put the same size board under the front tire to keep the bike more stable with a little stop to keep the bike from rolling forward. When you undue the boot at the rear of the engine be careful of the large round spring that fits around it. I have trouble explaining all this but soon you'll be a pro. I think the biggest trouble I had was getting to some of the wiring plugs between the faring and the steering head. I have big ol cleats.......LOL
Mooseman


LOL... You explained it good enough for me.....THANKS


How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!


Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest