1986 1200I repair mistakes

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
ironman1973
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 interstate

1986 1200I repair mistakes

Postby ironman1973 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:08 am

Last spring I replaced my stator and timing belts. Now I need to pull the motor again and fix my mistakes that didn't exist before my repair. The neutral light won't come on, however the overdrive light remains on in all transmission selections. I remember cutting two wires then soldering back together--did I get them mixed up? The temperature guage doesn't register now--could I have not connected something properly? There is a oil leak near the slave clutch or stator area which leaks when engine is running--could I have pinched a seal? Now when I shift from neutral to first there is a noticeable clunk not near as bad up the shifting range.What should I adjust or do you reccomend a new clutch at 57000 miles? The bike seems to run fine putty 10000miles since my botched repair--any clues out there?

arkansassuperdrafter
Motorcycle: 1985 Gl1200 Interstate
1986 Gl1200 Interstate

Re: 1986 1200I repair mistakes

Postby arkansassuperdrafter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:44 pm

I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me, but check the two connectors at the left of the steering column. One is brown and one is white. One of these goes to the gear selector swith in the front of the motor. If you have a manual, it tells you how to check the gear slector switch. I don't think you can swap these two plugs, but not sure. I replaced the stator in mine and it leaked around where the stator wires go into the back of the motor. I didn't want to pull the motor, so I used a gas tank sealer around the plug and stopped the leak. As far as the clutch, I don't think it needs replaced. I think all of the 1200's have a loud clunk when shifting into 1st, especially if you have the rpms up a little.
Bryce
85 and 86 Interstates

ironman1973
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 interstate

Re: 1986 1200I repair mistakes

Postby ironman1973 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:03 pm

bryce, yes I had a problem where the wires came out of the stator, the plastic plug was square instead of round or vise versa, I didn't want to wait two more weeks to get another one so I cut the plug and maguired it, I didn't realize oil was in that stator but will try gas tank sealer. I didn't take wires apart at connector, I didn't try hard enough to fish them out, so I cut them and resoldered them back to what I thought was correct. Yes I do have manual and will do some more homework on that area. I thought the clunch might screw up the gears was my worry. Thanks for the tips, I just feel more comfortable with some feedback, I apprerciate yours and will give it a shot.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”