Radiatorfan

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
tech1
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing 1200 SE-i Aspencade
2009 audo comfort
GL1800

Radiatorfan

Postby tech1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:24 pm

I was wondering how other bikes coolant fan runs. Mine when it comes on it has never shut down while sitting still . anyone else noticed that too? Anyone know the kick in and out temps for the fan?
Thanks Joe

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Radiatorfan

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:26 am

While in the driveway idling,at the high end of the gauge just before the red,my fan kicked on.It ran about 10 minutes then off.this would repeat every 10 minutes or so.If yours doesn't cut off,the switch may be bad(what,it wont last 25 years?)You may need to replace the antifreeze(yes it will deteriorate in it's ability to transfer heat)Or the antifreeze level may just be low(some captive air in the system)How about the radiator plugged with trash(leaves,mud,etc.)this will reduce it's cooling capacity.There are tests for the fan switch.Pix attached for specs.Virgil
Attachments

starfleetengineer
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:03 am

I read on another site that the switch in the block and get gummed up. A good cleaning of the system could help. First, take out about half a quart of antifreeze from the system. Then replace it with CLR. Run the engine about 10 min's after it is warmed up. Drain the cooling system. Remove the fan switch and check to see if it is clean. If not soak it in CLR for awhile and use a wire brush to clean it. If you want to go as far as testing it with an ohm meter and hot water you can. I have used the CLR trick on many differant engines and it works great. I clean out a badly blocked heater core with it and saved myself 5 hours on having to replace it.
How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:24 am

CLR contains several different acids and is extremely corrosive. I would NEVER use it in our aluminum engines!!

I just had a look at the CLR web site and found this:

What will CLR do to copper or aluminum?
CLR will take the finish off of aluminum and copper.

What surfaces should I not use CLR on?
DO not use CLR on natural stone or marble, terrazzo, colored grout, painted or metallic glazed surfaces, plastic laminates, Formica, aluminum, steam irons, leaded crystal, refinished tubs or any damaged or cracked surface.

Can I use CLR on my car to remove rust?
No, it is not recommended to use CLR on a car. It may drip onto aluminum or a painted surface.

Can I use CLR to clean out my radiator?
No, CLR should not be used on a car radiator for two reasons. First, CLR may not be compatible with the internal metals of the radiator. Second, it could have adverse effects if the CLR is not rinsed out completely.

starfleetengineer
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:55 am

WingAdmin wrote:CLR contains several different acids and is extremely corrosive. I would NEVER use it in our aluminum engines!!

I just had a look at the CLR web site and found this:

What will CLR do to copper or aluminum?
CLR will take the finish off of aluminum and copper.

What surfaces should I not use CLR on?
DO not use CLR on natural stone or marble, terrazzo, colored grout, painted or metallic glazed surfaces, plastic laminates, Formica, aluminum, steam irons, leaded crystal, refinished tubs or any damaged or cracked surface.

Can I use CLR on my car to remove rust?
No, it is not recommended to use CLR on a car. It may drip onto aluminum or a painted surface.

Can I use CLR to clean out my radiator?
No, CLR should not be used on a car radiator for two reasons. First, CLR may not be compatible with the internal metals of the radiator. Second, it could have adverse effects if the CLR is not rinsed out completely.

This I know. But, I have used it for years to clean out cooling systems in cars and trucks that have aluminum enginges and heater cores with no ill effects. I learnd this from some old school mechanics. I had all those questions too. I have used it in my own vehical as well. It will take the Calcium Deposits and lime that forms in the cooling system out. I have added a website to CLR that shows it will clean other metals. http://192.220.81.197/CLRMetal.htm
I have also sent them an email asking them what they thought of it being used this way. You have brought up a good point for others to see! Thanks..After 30+ years of being a mechanic I have learned to trust the oldschool mechanics and sometimes forget to add the bad stuff that could happen. I kow for me it works great, but I also have the background to try unorthodox things. We'll never know untill we try. But "THANKS" again for adding that. Once I get an email back I'll post what they say.

starfleetengineer
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:15 pm

I got the reply back from them. This is the email they sent. Thanks to WingAdmin for the other post :!: It is totaly up to anyone who want to try it. I just know how it works for me and others in my profession. I hope this helps.... Rick

Dear Mr. Rodgers,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We always appreciate comments, questions and suggestions.

We don’t recommend it since CLR has not been tested for that use. I do know of other customers who do use CLR for this purpose and don’t have problems, but we can’t verify this of course. I can only tell you what it’s made of, and you can decide for yourself. CLR is made up with mainly water, lactic acid (20%), gluconic acid, and surfactants. It’s a pH of about a 2. It isn’t recommended on brass, copper and aluminum FINISHES, though it is safe on copper plumbing for example. We always recommend diluting initially, and rinsing thoroughly with cold water.

Please check our website, www.jelmar.com for more tips and information on using our products.

Kindest Regards,

Chloe Sanders

Jelmar Products

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:38 pm

So it sounds perhaps that it will damage a polished aluminum finish, but would be relatively safe on an unfinished aluminum block (or at least on the calcium deposits therein).

starfleetengineer
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:20 pm

WingAdmin wrote:So it sounds perhaps that it will damage a polished aluminum finish, but would be relatively safe on an unfinished aluminum block (or at least on the calcium deposits therein).

Yes... Maybe I didn't explain it good enough. It goes in the cooling sys. They have another product that works on the outside.
If anyone is willing to try and clean out their cooling sys with this methed, just let me know and I'll walk you through it.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”