Front fork air suspension setting

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
SAILOR
Motorcycle: 1984 honda goldwing

Front fork air suspension setting

Postby SAILOR » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:41 pm

Just got an 84 apsencade and when I ride it and hit a bump or groove in the road the frontend to seems to wobble some. So today I was looking at the air suspension setting. I see there is a bracket for the front end, and a bracket that is higher up for the rear end. Is the front end suppose to be in the front end range, which looks to be like the bottom two bars. Didn't notice that when I aired up the front and aired it up all the way to the high end and went riding. Front end seems stiffer, but still wobbled when I hit a bump a little. What setting should i be using?

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: Front fork air suspension setting

Postby HALBUDD » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:22 am

Sailor I have an 84 & 85 aspey both front air pressures are set at the first two bars. Also check your anti-dive setting you can set it between 1 and 4 . The 1 setting is for light and the 4 is for a stifer anti-dive. If you still have a wobble try to check your front bearings. Dont over inflate your front forks you could blow the seal. good luck Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

SAILOR

Postby SAILOR » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:45 am

I'm wondering if this wobble is caused by one fork having less resistance then another. A long time ago I had kind of a similar problem on a different when I have an oil leak in one fork. Any idea how to check the front forks to make sure they are working together correctly.

Also how would I identify if the wheel bearings are causing the problem?

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:08 am

I can't help you on the first question, but for the second question, the easiesat way to check you wheel bearings is to lift the front wheel of the ground (put the bike on its centerstand and have someone sit on the passenger seat) then grab the front wheel with both hands (one at the top of the wheel and the other at the bottom of the wheel, then push sideways against the rim with the top hand and pull against the rim with the bottom hand and then swap direction (pull with top hand whilst pushing with bottom hand). If you see the RIM moving side to side as you pull/push it is an indication that you have excess wheel movement and that is nearly always due to worn wheel bearings. The same technique works on the back wheel, but if you feel a little movement try to see if its at the middle of the wheel moving (bearings) or due to the swing arm moving (swingarm bearings will need attention/changing).

Hope that helps.

Gary

SAILOR

Postby SAILOR » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:43 am

Already kind of did the bearing test as you described, kind of. But I will check again.

Greg

starfleetengineer
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:13 pm

I have even seen triple tree bearings do the samething. I thought mine was wheel bearings, I went the wrong direction. Too much play or looseness in the triple tree causes wobble and stability problems.
How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

SAILOR

Postby SAILOR » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:17 pm

Help me out here. What is a triple tree, where is it, and what can go wrong with is. Also would the fork old have anything to do with this wobble?

starfleetengineer
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:30 am

SAILOR wrote:Help me out here. What is a triple tree, where is it, and what can go wrong with is. Also would the fork old have anything to do with this wobble?

The triple tree is the steering shaft. You handle bars mount to the top and your forks mount to the bottom. Here are some pictures.
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw ... u=1&_sop=1

Old fork oil can play a part in it as well. To check the triple tree bearings, put her on the center stand. Get the front wheel off the ground. Now turn the handle bars from side to side. If there is no resistance, they are too loose. I will have to look in the book for the spec. If you feel them move and bind and move or you feel grinding the bearins are bad. The adjuster on the bottom of the fork is the TRAC for the brakes and suppetion. This page might help.
http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible_bikes.html
My 83 Honda V65 Magna wondered alot and turned out to be my triple tree bearings. After I changed them, It was fine and I could also ride no handed. No more steering shake when I let go.
How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

Mooseman
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 86k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 24K

Postby Mooseman » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:12 pm

Do you have an owner's manual for your 84-A. When airing the suspension stay within the brackets that come up on the guage. Yes front is 2 bars max.
Like the others have stated check those wheel bearings for play. Ant-dive setting. The triple clamp is what mounts the forks to the steering head. Check that sterring head for any play also, bike on center stand, front wheel off the ground and check for any play front to rear as you push and pull on the front wheel. If you have not had a fork seal leak then all the oil should be in the fork. Maybe old but still there. Also check front tire pressure as this along with cupping and brand of tire can cause a slight wobble with light to no hand presure on the hand grips. If you are holding the hand grips firm and hiting a small bump you shouldn't be getting any wobble. As for the grooves if the bike is wondering or tracking the groves this is normal, again tires also make a differance in grove tracking and wondering. I always say keep her pointed straight ahead and enjoy the ride..... :D
Lots of good info from the other guys here. Also do you have a service manual?
Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.
Mooseman

SAILOR

Postby SAILOR » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:51 pm

Thanks for the advice. No seal leak that I can tell. But I have hear to change the oil ever 3 years or so. I'll check all that wobble stuff this weekend I hope.

Asphalt guy
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda Aspencade GL1200

Postby Asphalt guy » Sat May 05, 2012 7:13 am

I have an 84 aspy, and if I shake the handle bars, and let go it seems to reverberate after I let go. Is this because of the weight of the front end, or somthing serious? She'll wobble a tiny bit when taking off on occasion. I dunno if its me, or the bike??

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”