My 1986 GoldWing SEI burning rich

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Please Support our Sponsors!

My 1986 GoldWing SEI burning rich

Postby bigted$$ » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:15 pm

i have a 1986 GoldWing 1200 SEI when i start it you can smell fuel like its burning real rich can anyone help me the bike runs gtood but just smell gas

bigted$$

Motorcycle: 1986 GoldWing GL 1200 SEI

Re: My 1986 GoldWing SEI burning rich

Postby Peppyone1955 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:54 pm

You might want to check in the air box on the air filter for rodants nests. They love to get in there and build a winter home. Have seen this happen a couple of times. Just my two cents. Good luck.
Peppyone1955

Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby Mooseman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:12 pm

I don't have a book for the Limited or SEi models. But being fuel injected you are dealing with higher fuel pressure. So could be a small leak.
But only occurs at start up. Cold start and/or hot start?
If only when cold there will be a sensor somewhere that tells the computer "I am cold and need more fuel". My experience has been that these sensor's usually go south in the other direction and make for hard starting in cold weather. Less fuel.
If it occurs at all times when hot or cold, could be a injector complaining about going to work. The sensor's should have a ohm value for testing cold and hot.
Also one of the injectors could be leaking a little. Try running a can of Sea Foam or some MMO thru with a tank of gas.
Hopefully this will give you a few things to cheek.
Let us know what you find.
Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.
Mooseman
Mooseman

Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1986 GL1200A (SOLD)

Postby raycw » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:30 pm

Your bike has a 'self-diagnosis computer' that is located under the rear trunk. The diagnosis lights are visible from the left side of the bike looking between the top of the saddlebag and the bottom of the trunk. There are 5 led lights. Reading from the front to back they are labeled as 3-2-1-0 and W. The W light should be on all the time when the key is on or the engine is running. The 3-2-1-0 lights are the ones that actually indicate a fault. They can be on or blinking depending on the fault problem. Turn on the key and view the lights. If there are multiple faults the lights will blink alternately. The pattern indicates exactly what fault is the problem. Obviously the computer can't indicated things like a dirty air filter, low compression, bad gas or ignition problems…. but do read CFI sensor faults. The lights indicate the following sensors or components:
PBR sensor, Throttle sensor, ECU (P1 sensor), T1 sensor, Tw sensor, 2/4 injectors, 1 /3 injectors, Ns sensor, Gl sensor, Gr sensor.

The trouble shooting guide doesn't list 'runs rich at idle but has good performance' like you said. If it's running rich only at idle there should be excessive black smoke from the exhaust. If that's the case the troubleshooting guide lists the following as possible or probable causes:
excessive fuel pressure, faulty injectors, Throttle sensor, PBR or PBL sensors, Tw sensor, Bad connectors at any sensor, pinched vent tubing, bad ECU, bad spark plugs.

If you need more help with the indicator lights PM me.
raycw

Motorcycle: 88 GL1500

Postby bigted$$ » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:40 pm

I looked under the rear trunk like you said and i see the window and i think 4 little lights their but none of them are lit up but the bike runs perfect i just smell a little gas when i start it up it seems the more i run it the better it gets i did put a 1/2 can of Sea Foam in the tank and i start it every day and let it run until the fan kicks on and i just changed the oil to play it safe to make sure their was no gas in the oil and when i changed the oil i put in Honda HP-4S full synthetic oil and on the lights on the computer should i get the computer checked
bigted$$

Postby bigted$$ » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:45 pm

One other thing i cant find the air filter i lifted the travel computer and all i see is a fuse box and the gas tank :!:
bigted$$

Postby TDarby719 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:44 am

Dig deeper for the air filter. Pull the false tank, move the fuses out of the mounting bracket, unscrew the wing nut, pull out the air box cover, remove the air filter. Ponder cleaning the fuel intake while you have it nearly exposed. Finish pondering and remove the air box base, the filter bracket, etc. Clean the flame screens and the intake valves. Synchronizing? Might as well while you are this far into the core. Man, this could go on and on.... LOL.
TDarby719

Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD

Postby fastf » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:30 pm

Your filter and you throttle body is out of sync it happened to my LTD get you some vac guages and get you a good shop manuel Clymers I have it will be veague and it doesn't tell you about the Idle screw down under the throttle body on the part of fuel injection it does on the carb site .If you can get a actual Honda service manuel you are in the ball park .Also start checking vacume leaks that will make it run rich too.Keep asking people that have the fuel injected 1200 they own the bike and can help you more than one that doesn't and know more about the bike because they have worked on them it isn't that the people that own the carb version of the 1200 don't have any knowledge of the bike but you are better off with a person who owns a injected version.

fastf

Motorcycle: 2003 honda goldwing

Return to GL1200 Information & Questions