85 1200 LTD bsck firing when slowing down through exaust

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
fastf
Motorcycle: 2003 honda goldwing

85 1200 LTD bsck firing when slowing down through exaust

Postby fastf » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Hello, I'm back still working on this old LTD the old girl runs great but come at a red light it smells like it is burning rich replaced one of the hoses that goes to the air valve that goes up to the air box it is about six inches long went to Honda dealer and ordered four large hoses for vacume and water don't exsist any more so had to make a hose went to NAPA and found one close cut it into and put a peice of copper tubing and put clamps on both ends its working good . Well when i slow down to come to a stop it starts popping out the exaust . I changed the air filter to a K@N filter the stock was about stopped up thinking that the filter was causing it to run rich has anyone in the forum ever faced this problem like I said the old girl runs darn good and I'm proud of how far it has come but still have a few small issues and really enjoy the old girl put am pissee off with Honda for not supplying more parts for these old machines . It's funny you can get parts for a Honda civic from time begain but you cannot get certain parts for these old bikes and it is not right there out to be someone making parts for these mechines we are left to salvage yards or ebay the person that starts will do very well I think.

imfree
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Re: 85 1200 LTD bsck firing when slowing down through exaust

Postby imfree » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:26 am

This might sound stupid but here goes,Check for an exhaust leak,your exhaust gasket are wore out or you have a hole in your pipe somewhere,also check your valve adjustment if an exhaust valve is to tight it will pop on decel,but if it is a valve you would probaly notice that it is not running properly.I hope this helps.Joe

fastf
Motorcycle: 2003 honda goldwing

Postby fastf » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:25 am

Joe thanks for the advise but the LTD hydraulic lifters and doesn't need adjusting so it ain't the valves . I replaced the exaust manifold gaskets about a month the copper gaskets were gone with the wind here in south put new ones in but didn't replace the ones on the mufflers tighten them up they aren't leaking but when you start the bike in the morning the drain hole on the bottom blows out exaust i'm thinking the baffels are rusted out but they don't rattle or nothing. I repalced the air filter the other nite put in a k/n filter changed the oil and filter too. I'm also thing my throttle body may be out of sink one side closing when i slow down and the other still open when i slow down causing it to pop and run rich. The LTD only has two adjustments right and left but you need a manometer and I don't have one at this time but am thinking of getting one if I keep working on the old girl. The old girl runs like a swiss watch down the road. I road it a 120 mile trip to south Georgia didn't miss a beat just pops when you slow down and running rich oh I also had to replace a vacume hose about the size of your little finger. Since I replace that hose my cruise is working a whole lot better. Gonna replace every dang hose on the thing when I have the time this thing has a octopuss under the hood believe me and tight it will test your religion believe me any how I need to talk to someone that has one of these bikes because the 1200 LTD and the SEi is fuel injected and
so simlar and yet different because it is fuel injected and when you talk to a Honda dealership there isn't anyone there rhat has a clue about what you are talking about. My pet pee is parts Honda needs to supply more parts for these old a bikes if they are going to sell them in this country supply parts Harley does I know Harley has been making bikes since the Flintstones but you can get parts and don't have to go to Ebay or some motorcycle salvage yard where you pay for a item with your first born for a item a few year cost $10.00 because Honda is too busy making bikes not supplying parts for them.

imfree
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Postby imfree » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:07 am

There should be a port in the intake on #3 & #4 hook your vacume gauges to number 3 with the idle set @ 950 then check # 4 there should be a sync adjuster screw make the vacume gauges match,If there is no port in the intake then it will be on the throttle body,There has to be a manifold vacume port on each side somewhere.If you hook into a vacume hose on the throttle body you want to make sure it is FULL manifold vacume and not ported vacume.If you email me your number to jfheins@elmore.rr.com tell me the best time to call,I will try to help you with this.Joe

TDarby719
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD

Postby TDarby719 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:25 am

The manometer connection is the screws at the bottom of all four intake pipes. Balancing is left to right only. No adjustment from front to rear.(1 to 3 or 2 to 4) 1 and 3 should match, 2 and 4 should match within 1.6 in. Hg(mercury). With the idle speed set at 1000 +/-, use the cylinder bank screw under the right side chrome CFI cover to balance left and right. You will need to adjust the balance with the bank screw, rev slightly, adjust the idle, adjust the bank screw, rev, idle, bank, .... Get the picture? When you get the adjustment withing 1-1/2 in. Hg, it is considered synchronized.
Rev to 3000 rpm and hold adjust the bank screw as necessary to balance. Return to idle and note the settings. A discrepancy of more than 1-1/2 between the left and right sides indicates compression variance in the cylinders(rings).

Large variance between the settings? Until you can get the compression corrected:
If you travel lots of highway miles, it has been suggested to leave the settings at the position achieved while revving to 3000. City riding, use the 1000+/- idle speed setting. Mixed riding, find the happy median between. All of this assumes you have cleaned the intake system, flame screens, throttle body and throttle valves.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”