Hello all new Goldwing owner here

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
jhensler208
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200 a aspencade

Hello all new Goldwing owner here

Postby jhensler208 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:48 pm

I just recently bought a 86' gl1200 aspencade with 100,+++ on it. my issue is the speedometer does not work, turn signals do not cancel( switch does go back to middle on its own), and the radio does not auto adjust to the speed... i also just noticed that i have fuel leaking from the carbs on kickstand side but i cant tell where at as of right now. Also how hard is it to do the timing belts on them cuz i have no clue how old they are and i dont want to sit on the highway!!!!!! anything helps and thank you in advance..... :?

tricky

Re: Hello all new Goldwing owner here

Postby tricky » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:14 pm

You dont mention what model, I am assuming it to be the Aspencade.

Test the speed sensor on the front wheel left side. Usually the case if the turn signal doesn't cancel or speedometer doesnt work

Trace the wiring from the sensor to the first connector.

Front wheel axle left side

Speed Sensor lnspection.

Disconnect the speed sensor from the speedometer gearbox at the front wheel.

Connect a voltmeter across the Black/Brown and Black/Yellow terminals of the sensor white 3-P coupler.

Turn the ignition switch to ON.

The sensor is normal if the voltmeter needle swings from 0 to about 5 slowly eight times when the sensor drive shaft is turned slowly one full turn.

The belt install here http://gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=9318
Attachments

jhensler208
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200 a aspencade

Postby jhensler208 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:25 pm

it was for the 86' aspencade the exact model numbers i dont know as of right now, i took off the cover to the speed sensor and there is a little wheel in there taht looks like it is broke. just my luck thank you for the timing belt diagram it will come in handy before to long..... until next time Joshua.......

rfoley
Motorcycle: 2002 Gold Wing

Postby rfoley » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:47 pm

there is a plilip screw u shuolh have tahen out not the cover take a flat blade screwdriver and pry the senor off there is a o-ring on it so there will be careful get the front wheel off the groud so u can spin iu will need to look up inside to c if the the slotted pin is turning. i have replace the senor and speedometer that mount to the wheel. one time the bull gear that rides on the axle was strip out the other time the senor was bad. let me know how u come out

Roger Foley
Louisville Ky. 40214

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”