85 LTD new owner

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
roondog
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200LTD

85 LTD new owner

Postby roondog » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:04 am

Hey all, Got the bike a couple days ago. Pretty good deal but of course she needs some TLC. I have a chip missing from the right corner of the trunk that I want to cover up. Went to sabre cycle site and they had some trim but the review said it didn't conform to the corner. What else can I use?
Owning goldwings before (75, 83, and an 85I), and being away from riding until last Sept. due to working abroad for 13 years, I have to get used to the leg draw back to do my shifting and brake. I don't remember it being like that. LOL
Also, what are some good cleaning agents to use? I have used the Novus products on my shield for my 06 VTX1300R I got last Sept and it seemed to work pretty good to get the clarity back. Whats good on the wings shield? Rain X or wax? What about the painted surfaces. There are some light scratches that I don't know if I can do anything with. Chrome is chrome so I reckon any chrome cleaner will work, yes? I will post pics soon.
Overall, the bike seems to be in pretty good shape and runs great for having 85 grand on her. Any advice would be great. Now I will need to re-do my GWRRA membership. Lapsed too long ago.

John Rooney USMC (ret)
SCRC Greater Raleigh, NC #70

Last edited by roondog on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rfoley
Motorcycle: 2002 Gold Wing

Re: 85 LTD new owner

Postby rfoley » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:13 pm

Welcome, there is a lot of good information on this site take advantage of it because it is FREE.
Roger Foley
Louisville Ky. 40214

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:21 am

[quote="roondog"] Went to sabre cycle site and they had some trim but the review said it didn't conform to the corner. What else can I use?

Whats good on the wings shield? Rain X or wax? What about the painted surfaces. There are some light scratches that I don't know if I can do anything with.

Overall, the bike seems to be in pretty good shape and runs great for having 85 grand on her.

Most people who deal with Saber Cycle only do it once,they dont have a good reputation,it seems that even if they send you the wrong part they will not take it back,somehow its your fault. you may want to try some place like CycleMax instead.

Never use Rain X on the Wing windshield,its designed for glass not acrylic. It will ruin the windshield. Most of use use Pledge furniture polish for both the wind shield and painted surfaces.Use the lemon not the orange unless you like wasps hanging around your bike when parked.

If your bike only has 85,000 miles on her then shes just barely broken in. If you dont know the last time the timing belts where changed then its time to do them now.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

roondog
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200LTD

Postby roondog » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:49 pm

I asked the guy I bought the bike from and he said that the father and son who he bought from and were also the first owners, respectfully, had the timing belt done. The brakes were done, along with new tires and a full fluid service, so I reckon I am off to a great start.
It does seem to idle a bit low, around 800 or so, even when warmed up. Does the computer control all these things since it has an auto choke and all?

rrboomer
Motorcycle: 1983 cb1000c

Postby rrboomer » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:09 am

Hello! Look into the center of the bike! follow the rod that opens the throttle on the right side. The idle adjustment is in there. DO NOT adjust any outboard settings until you know what to do.If you have a manometer you can adjust side to side. If not and it runs ok leave alone until you have tools to adjust it the right way. 1000 +/- 100 Is the range you are looking for. Any higher and gear change will get crunchy Good luck ! rrboomer

rjbeck
Motorcycle: 1991 Yamaha XT600
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition

Postby rjbeck » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:22 pm

Hello All!!!

I also am soon to be the new owner of an '85 Limited. Boys does that sound strange. First of all the bike has almost 64,000 miles on it and has not been ridden in the last two years. It was started last year and ran for 20 to 30 minutes to make sure it still "worked".

My question is simply beside the battery needing replaced and some new rubber for the tires, are there any other things that I need to be on the specific lookout for? The front forks don't seem to be leaking any oil excessively and she started up just fine today after a jump. I will probably lubricate the throttle cable with some grease, but need some recommendations on that one. After I replace the battery and get it home, I will do an oil change. Do I need to be concerned about the stator (sp.)? Will I need to do the "poor-boy" conversion?

Other than some dust, don't know why that would be in a desert, it seems to be be in really decent shape. For the price that I'm paying for it, I'm really happy to get it. I look forward to taking good care of it like the previous owner did.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Roger

rfoley
Motorcycle: 2002 Gold Wing

Postby rfoley » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:48 pm

Hello I have a 86 SEi I installed a poor boy kit on it. I would sugguest You spend some time looking at
wiring connections around the voltage regulater and the 3 wires coming from the alternator follow the 3 yellow wires and look for hot spots. Pull the left side cover off You should see 3 yellow wires with a conection right there if so cut the plug out and solder the wires together You may need to add some wire solder and put heat snick over them. The poor Boy works fine it a challge to put on a SEi because of the feul injection things are is close.
Roger Foley
Louisville Ky. 40214

knightflyer
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Postby knightflyer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:57 pm

rjbeck wrote:My question is simply beside the battery needing replaced and some new rubber for the tires, are there any other things that I need to be on the specific lookout for? ...
Thanks for the help in advance,
Roger

Might check the paperwork, if any, and see when the timing belts were last serviced. That was a recommendation for mine, which were of indeterminant age... I've got an 84 GL1200 Interstate. I was still in contact with the previous owner, who said "timing belts? Beats me, don't think I ever did anything with them..."
cheers,
Dave (knightflyer)
"While I may, I sail East in Dawn Treader." Reepicheep, Voyage of the Dawn Treader

rjbeck
Motorcycle: 1991 Yamaha XT600
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition

Postby rjbeck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:02 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Will do some checking after we get home from vacation and I get the bike home and let us all know how things are looking.

jgarrett
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing Limited, GL1200L

Postby jgarrett » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:39 am

Congrats on the Limited! I bought one last year and I had to completely clean it up and solder the wires from the stator, then it charged and runs great. I never did imagine that a flat 4 could run so smoothly and have so much torque, it's unreal actually. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Mine sat (was ran twice a year) for about 6 years because it quit charging and the stator was too expensive. If it wasn't for this site I would have never known how easy of a fix it really was. Thanks to everyone who post's so many helpful "hints" here! My bike only has 33K for miles.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:52 pm

Bought my '85 LTD last fall and have put some 3000 Kms on it since. Did some major maintenance to the bike (knew I'd have to - it is 31 years old), suspension, wiring, timing belts and such. The bike runs well, and has lots of power for myself and when I ride two up. Finishing up my maintenance for this year, but still have some more to do. Lots of information on this and other forums that will help you take care of the old girl. Have fun and enjoy! Cheers

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”