85 Aspy Radio Problem Resolution

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
canal mark
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

85 Aspy Radio Problem Resolution

Postby canal mark » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:10 am

I just picked up this bike knowing the volume on the radio was low. After reading some of the posts here, I followed some very good advise and dug into it. I checked all the "obvious" stuff and of course it was not that easy. I spent quite a lot of time looking for the magical 5 amp fuse, but I could not locate the fuse on this bike.

I then disconnected the amp and bypassed the amp altogether. There was no change in volume levels, so in my mind that meant I needed a new amp. I picked up an amp at Pinwall, which luckily is just 5 miles from me, and installed the new amp. The excitment level was rising because I would now have TUNES :D right...Wrong :shock: . Still low volume.

Now I had reached the panic point because I thought I had this problem nailed. After some finegelling (is that a word) I isolated the speaker output to just the amp by disconnecting the volume fader and tone controls and hooking up just the amp. Once again low volume :x . Now I know the amp from Pinwall was good because I heard the radio play before they disassembled the bike.

At this point I was completely out of ideas so I did what any self-proclaimed mechanic :lol: would do...I started banging on stuff and turning knobs. I was in such a frenzy that one of my actions actully caused the volume to almost take out my left eardrum and then went away just as quickly. Now I had to retrace my temper tantrum and figure out what I did. I turned the tone knob back and forth and low and behold the sound increase :? .

Now mind you, the knob that I am turning has been disconnected from the system along with the auto-volume, so you might ask "How in the H#@L would a disconnected knob change the volume on the radio?" I did not know and did not care...I had TUNES :D. Now for the test drive. I still had everything disconnected except the amp and speakers, so there was no auto-volume. The radio sounded great, but as with everthing else in life...For every action there is a reaction. Now my digital speedometer is not working :o .

I am hoping that I can reconnect all the wires I disconnected, clean the knobs with contact cleaner, button it all up, and :D life is good :D. I just had no idea that the output of that box had anything to do with the digital display on my dash! Anyhow...Say a little prayer for me (sounds like a song) :lol:

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”