Fan motor & oil leak 85 interstate 1200

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
midnightrider1
Motorcycle: 1985 1200 Goldwing Interstate

Fan motor & oil leak 85 interstate 1200

Postby midnightrider1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:57 am

Hello Everyone

I have a 85 interstate 1200 and the fan motor runs when the switch is on reason is someone has ran a jumper ground wire. I have undone this jumper wire. Doesn't look like the plug is making contact with the switch on the thermostat from what I can tell cause it just dark no sign of a rub mark on the prongs at all and the green wire I can also
its a bare spot on the plug itself so it could be in the plug as well. It hasn't been rode for awhile I have everything for a oil change and antifreeze from the Honda dealer I had to drive 100 miles round trip but that's all ok I can visit my grand kids and daughter. Is there a way to test the switch to see if its ok.
Then I take it you can use a 12 volt light checker to test the plug I think might have to make me a new plug for the switch if need be that wouldn't be to much of a problem.

I need to get this bike off my porch now so I can work on it better and move around easier. Got to get me a longer ramp for my 7 inch high porch and I will be good to go.

I also have a oil leak on the left valve cover there a bunch of silicon on the bottom side that's a scary thought so when I change the oil I sure am gonna scrape that stuff off and see what's going on. I hope it just a gasket. It fires right up with a slight miss in it and goes away when it warms up but the ideal is about 1.3 maybe a little higher.
I am new at this and so far I am learning a lot.

Frank

rfoley
Motorcycle: 2002 Gold Wing

Re: Fan motor & oil leak 85 interstate 1200

Postby rfoley » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:22 pm

If U can get the sws. out of the housing U can put it in boiling water if thesws is good it should show close on Ur meter/conituity. as far as ur oil leak there could be a crack in the valve cover or a bad gasket
Roger Foley
Louisville Ky. 40214

midnightrider1
Motorcycle: 1985 1200 Goldwing Interstate

Re: Fan motor & oil leak 85 interstate 1200

Postby midnightrider1 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:50 am

rfoley wrote:If U can get the sws. out of the housing U can put it in boiling water if thesws is good it should show close on Ur meter/conituity. as far as ur oil leak there could be a crack in the valve cover or a bad gasket

I am getting ready to check it all out really good. I had to pour me a cement pad out by my shed so I can work on my bike. Made the wife happy to get it off my porch. Well someone at some point splice into the wires that goes to the thermostat switch and grounded the fan motor to run all the time. Looks like I need to pull the radiator to get to the thermostat switch, and the wires Being I am that far into it I might as well check the thermostat out.

Oil leak yes sure could be a crack valve cover I hope not they are not cheap. LOL

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”