85 LTD no display, no start, no lights

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
roondog
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200LTD

85 LTD no display, no start, no lights

Postby roondog » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:00 pm

85 LTD. It all started when I took the scoot for a long ride with some chapters of SCRC. Stopped and started just fine all day but on the way back, stopped off at a car dealer close to home to show a bud the scoot. Went out, turned the key, displays went blank and would not start.
Checked the 30 amp fuse that was in place to bypass the sacrificial metal strip and also another fuse(plug in) which was 30 amp also. The auto type fuse had a bit of cloudiness on one end but later proved to have continuity. Whwn I put it back in, I turned the key and had flashing displays for about 3 seconds, then nothing. One of the guys brought out a booster box and it started right up.
Before I took the battery out to replace it, when the key is on, all I see are the neutral light and oil light that when I push the start button, the get brighter. That is the only things I see, no other lights, no other sounds, not even lights. Hmmmmm…..
So…..I bought another battery that is charging at the moment. I was thinking since the bike started up with the booster box, the battery just didn’t have enough amps left or maybe the alternator wasn’t kickin’ back enough juice on the ride and I was using up the batteries power? I don’t know, I never checked the post when the bike was running. When the engine is running, I should be able to take the multimeter and read from the posts on the battery to check incoming voltage, yes?
When riding, the volts were consistent at around 14.2 I did notice on the last start when I filled up that the radio lost its memory and the trip meter would not reset.
I would be happy to post pics of my mess of wires by the battery. I did find out from a CD that the black box behind the starter relay is the brake and tail light connectors. I also thought the round silver bit with a bunch of wires plugged in and the pos and neg post was the solenoid but it looks to be the starter relay. Right? There is a plug in 30 amp fuse that does something there but it is ok.
I went to take the seat off but the allen bolt on the left side to the adjustment latch is stripped out in the middle so I will have to be ingenious if I want to remove it. Tried to cut a notch and loosen that way but no go as of yet.
I am not sure if it is of mention but I thought I heard a POP around mid trip. Thought maybe I ran over something or blew a tire. The performance was not effected and I didn’t notice anything but after that is when I did start to notice the radio was losing memory on start up. The engine did start fine though.
I have seen some great schematics on the CD but I have not messed with any other wiring and I am not that electrical savy.
Anyway, that is about where I am at now until the battery charges up (had to add the acid). Got it on a 1.5 trickle charger.
Everybody on the forum have been awesome and I have been able to put in my 2 cents also on other things. Great group of folks. Neoracer has been especially helpful as well. I hope I can actually meet some of the folks here sometime. I also will join GWRRA when I get paid the end of the month. #28002, my original number given back to me. Awesome!

tbiede
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade se-I

Re: 85 LTD no display, no start, no lights

Postby tbiede » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:24 pm

I am not sure about the problem you are having, but the same thing, the loud pop sound, happened to me last year. (I have an '86 se-i.) It was near the end of the riding season, and I was coming up to a stop light when I heard a loud "pop" sound. I thought that I either rode over something or my front tire blew out. I pulled over, got off the bike and looked at it, and saw NOTHING. That's what really freaked me out! I got home and took a better look and saw nothing obviously wrong. The bike rode fine after that and it seemed like nothing happened. I really don't know what the hell it was. :?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:13 pm

roondog wrote:85 LTD. It all started when I took the scoot for a long ride with some chapters of SCRC. Stopped and started just fine all day but on the way back, stopped off at a car dealer close to home to show a bud the scoot. Went out, turned the key, displays went blank and would not start.
Checked the 30 amp fuse that was in place to bypass the sacrificial metal strip and also another fuse(plug in) which was 30 amp also. The auto type fuse had a bit of cloudiness on one end but later proved to have continuity. Whwn I put it back in, I turned the key and had flashing displays for about 3 seconds, then nothing. One of the guys brought out a booster box and it started right up.
Before I took the battery out to replace it, when the key is on, all I see are the neutral light and oil light that when I push the start button, the get brighter. That is the only things I see, no other lights, no other sounds, not even lights. Hmmmmm…..

Any chance when you hooked up the booster box that you clamped the ground to the frame instead of the negative battery terminal?

If so, I'm thinking that you might have a bad ground on the ground strap between the battery negative terminal and the frame. Take it off, inspect it, clean it, and put it back on, see if it makes any difference.

roondog
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200LTD

Postby roondog » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:08 am

When the booster box was hooked up, the leads were plainly touching both positive and negative posts. The neg ground seems to be on an engine mount annd is tight and looksvery clean. I took my seat off a while ago, no obvious wiring issues seen, even though there seems to be lots of dirt build up around the plugs here, there, and everywhere.
I really like the look of a clean up solonoid. Or is it the starter relay? have you seen the url photobucket pics I posted? There are a couple of the wiring mess on the side of the battery. I would like to clean them up. There is already an inline fuse in place of the fuseable link and there is another fuse, a plug in. There is the plastic connector box that does hae the color wires as seen in the procedure.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”