Fork Seal Replacement and Oil Fill

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1984 honda goldwing

Fork Seal Replacement and Oil Fill

Postby SAILOR » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:42 am

Somewhere I saw a tutorial about replacing the fork seal and filling the oil with the forks on the bike. Anyone know where I can find a good tutorial on replacing my fork seals and filling the oil.

Re: Fork Seal Replacement and Oil Fill

Postby tricky » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:13 pm

Some people do this with the forks in the bike, personally I prefer the forks on the bench and if your going to do the job check the bushings as well.

Motorcycle: 1983 GL1200E
1998 GL1500SE

Postby alexakos » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:48 am

Great article Thanx!
I was looking for that!

Motorcycle: 2003 honda goldwing

Postby fastf » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:11 pm

I will teach you a little trick and it has worked for me my right seal was leaking now I cannot swear that it will work for you and this is a tempory fix but for right now it has stopped leaking compleatly.Lucas makes a stop leak for power steering pumps seals and rack pinion seals .I took the fork cap off poured half a small bottle in the fork and pushed down real hard and got the cap back on so far so good it has stopped. Well I guess you people are saying it ain't ATF Fluid well what's in a power steering pump ATF fluid this is al little thicker and it makes the fork seal swell.It has the consistancy of STP oil treatment well when I was a Teenager I had a 1963 Ford Galaxey 500 the power steering seal leaked my daddy own a auto repair shop he poured STP oil treatment in the power steering pump and it stopped leaking because the oil is so thick. The oil that Lucas sell has a red tint to it like ATF do it will match with the ATF in the power steering pump and for you people who are thinking well it will hurt things it won't it's better than not running with no oil in the shock and ruining a shock.Enough said this is my opinion and it works. So everyone have a Blessed Day

Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
2002 GL 1800

Postby lewfoer » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:19 pm

This link doesn't open with the images on my computer,

What size is the socket bolt on the bottom of the forks? A 6mm wants to turn out, 7mm and 1/4" won't fit.

Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 interstate

Postby bobberwing » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:41 pm

I tried to replace fork seals by only removing lower portion of fork. Came apart fine but when it came to seating seal I was'nt able to get it to seat so I could put snap ring in place. I tried using a 1.5 in. pvc with no luck. Seems outer tube bushing was not letting seal go down into seat. I could'nt figure out why. I must be doing something wrong. I hate to do it but may take to Honda dealer before I screw something up. Mine is a 1984 Interstate. Any suggestions?

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”