who have replace or know howto pull starter on a 1984 GL1200


Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
franky9322
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:50 pm
Location: Canada
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 INTERSTATE

who have replace or know howto pull starter on a 1984 GL1200

Postby franky9322 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:26 pm



some says bike on the center stand because there a plastic guide to kept chain to not drop in the engine..........

some says that it must be done on side stand.........like 1000,1100 GW

Claymer manual says late 1985 1200 , 1986 , 1987 have a chain plastic guide. (so ok center stand)

and says that 1984 and early 1985 dont have a plastic guide.........like the 1000,1100 GW.

NOBODY say the same thing.

is there at least 2 guys or more that have pull out the starter on a 84 1200 GW. not your neighbour or your cousin. YOURSELF .

i have to done mine and it is on the center stand and dont want to move it for nothing.

i had to start a tread , old tread or other tread on starter , no answer .

THE HOW TO SECTION (STARTER) is for a 1000, 1100 GW.


thank you :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17047
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: who have replace or know howto pull starter on a 1984 GL

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:21 am

The worst that can happen is that the sprocket moves into the bike where it won't line up with the starter spline. If that's the case, then you know you need it on the side stand - so then put it on the side stand, if need be fish the sprocket up into place with the end of a coat hanger, and you'll be ready to go. It can't fall off the chain, if that's what you're worried about.

franky9322
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:50 pm
Location: Canada
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 INTERSTATE

Re: who have replace or know howto pull starter on a 1984 GL

Postby franky9322 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:33 am

WingAdmin wrote:The worst that can happen is that the sprocket moves into the bike where it won't line up with the starter spline. If that's the case, then you know you need it on the side stand - so then put it on the side stand, if need be fish the sprocket up into place with the end of a coat hanger, and you'll be ready to go. It can't fall off the chain, if that's what you're worried about.



work well on center stand and dont want to pull out all headers and mufflers (jack under) if i put it in side stand , it with be more trouble and my bike is in my house not a garage..

weird that my tread is not visible.........it s not a 1000,1100 GW site lolllllllll


THANKS WingAdmin

User avatar
starfleetengineer
Posts: 329
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:02 pm
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Re: who have replace or know howto pull starter on a 1984 GL

Postby starfleetengineer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:27 am

You have to remove the engine guard and the frt. header pipe. along with the shifter lever. I tried for an hour with out removeing the parts and gave up. The starter will not come out with out those parts removed!
How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

franky9322
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:50 pm
Location: Canada
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 INTERSTATE

Re: who have replace or know howto pull starter on a 1984 GL

Postby franky9322 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:14 am

starfleetengineer wrote:You have to remove the engine guard and the frt. header pipe. along with the shifter lever. I tried for an hour with out removeing the parts and gave up. The starter will not come out with out those parts removed!



did you pull out your manifod stud?

User avatar
starfleetengineer
Posts: 329
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:02 pm
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Re: who have replace or know howto pull starter on a 1984 GL

Postby starfleetengineer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:42 pm

I beleve I pulled the one closest to the starter out. Double nut them. They come out easy.
How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

franky9322
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:50 pm
Location: Canada
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 INTERSTATE

Re: who have replace or know howto pull starter on a 1984 GL

Postby franky9322 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:45 pm

starfleetengineer wrote:You have to remove the engine guard and the frt. header pipe. along with the shifter lever. I tried for an hour with out removeing the parts and gave up. The starter will not come out with out those parts removed!



so did you pull out the strater

cya
;) ;) ;) ;)

User avatar
starfleetengineer
Posts: 329
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:02 pm
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Re: who have replace or know howto pull starter on a 1984 GL

Postby starfleetengineer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:25 pm

Yes. I pulled the starter out.
How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

franky9322
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:50 pm
Location: Canada
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 INTERSTATE

Re: who have replace or know howto pull starter on a 1984 GL

Postby franky9322 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:21 am

starfleetengineer wrote:Yes. I pulled the starter out.

when you will reinstall the starter in the gear(engine)..........if you have a trick (on center stand), can you share with us?

thanks :) :) :)

User avatar
starfleetengineer
Posts: 329
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:02 pm
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Re: who have replace or know howto pull starter on a 1984 GL

Postby starfleetengineer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:52 am

There is no trick. Just go lucky when I put it back in.
How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

franky9322
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:50 pm
Location: Canada
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 INTERSTATE

Re: who have replace or know howto pull starter on a 1984 GL

Postby franky9322 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:11 pm

starfleetengineer wrote:There is no trick. Just go lucky when I put it back in.


starfleetengineer did you put is back on?

User avatar
starfleetengineer
Posts: 329
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:02 pm
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Re: who have replace or know howto pull starter on a 1984 GL

Postby starfleetengineer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:27 pm

franky9322 wrote:
starfleetengineer wrote:There is no trick. Just go lucky when I put it back in.


starfleetengineer did you put is back on?

If you read the above quote: I said, There is no trick. I just got lucky """ when I put it back in""""
Just incase.... YES I took the starter out, and I put it back in!
How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

User avatar
mikeg1906
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:25 am
Location: USA Garland, PA
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200I

Re: who have replace or know howto pull starter on a 1984 GL

Postby mikeg1906 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:01 pm

when I did my 84 gl1200 which I pulled out 3 or 4 time after the frist time it was easy. But some will say must be on side stand. But I did my on center stand and the spline was not a problem for me. after I got the one stud out of header pipe. Then you can put some greese on tip and a little oil also oil the O ring a little. but putting it on sidestand can help a little. But I done it on center stand with no problem. Just be carefull not to get grear out of the chain. It really does not have alot of room to do that. But being on center stand it is not 100% lined up. so that is why some say to have it on sidestand. But the 84 stater is the only one that fits that bike. 85-87 gl1200 will not fit. I rebuilt my starter after having amuter checked at shop. and it work great. No more slow rolling over after it gets hot.

franky9322
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:50 pm
Location: Canada
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 INTERSTATE

Re: who have replace or know howto pull starter on a 1984 GL

Postby franky9322 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:39 pm

mikeg1906 wrote:when I did my 84 gl1200 which I pulled out 3 or 4 time after the frist time it was easy. But some will say must be on side stand. But I did my on center stand and the spline was not a problem for me. after I got the one stud out of header pipe. Then you can put some greese on tip and a little oil also oil the O ring a little. but putting it on sidestand can help a little. But I done it on center stand with no problem. Just be carefull not to get grear out of the chain. It really does not have alot of room to do that. But being on center stand it is not 100% lined up. so that is why some say to have it on sidestand. But the 84 stater is the only one that fits that bike. 85-87 gl1200 will not fit. I rebuilt my starter after having amuter checked at shop. and it work great. No more slow rolling over after it gets hot.



ok i am catching more all that...........

btw in your bike do you have a guide to retain the gear and chain?.........i think some have and some dont for 84' model

THANK YOU ;) ;) ;) ;)

franky9322
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:50 pm
Location: Canada
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 INTERSTATE

Re: who have replace or know howto pull starter on a 1984 GL

Postby franky9322 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:01 pm

is there a special trick to take out the old cupper exaust gasket (rond like big o-ring)

ty

i have 4 new one.....best is put new one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests