1985 LTD New Owner and couple problems

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
rjbeck
Motorcycle: 1991 Yamaha XT600
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition

1985 LTD New Owner and couple problems

Postby rjbeck » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:23 am

Hey guys and gals,

Well I am the proud new owner to a LTD and so far am loving it. I plan on changing out the oil today or tomorrow. Had to get the filter from NAPA. The local Honda dealership is not really very helpful.

Okay onto the details. After getting it home and cleaning up the dust, I have found that the left controls for the radio and compressor are not working. I can mute the radio, but that is about it. No autoleveling with the compressor, no tuning of the radio. Anyone have any ideas? Also the turn signals are a little sticky. Is there a way to get into these controls and "loosen" them up? I also am not sure that the compressor is working, but I don't mind that so much as I can fill the air off the auxiliary ports and get them up to pressure.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Roger

starfleetengineer
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Re: 1985 LTD New Owner and couple problems

Postby starfleetengineer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:06 pm

To clean out the turn signal switch you need to take it apart. The grease inside is most likely old and in a gumm state. Clean it out with brake clean, blow dry it out then spray in some white lithimum grease. work the switches while you spray it in. As for the other 2 items, could be the same problem. The compressor swiches, I would check for power. Since this is auto level it might be the switch down by the swing arm. To test is there is 2 ways. 1. Unhook the elect. connector and ohm the switch while raiseing the arm up and down. 2. Witch can cause problems and blow out the shocks is, just turn on the key and raise and lower the arm at the switch. I don't recomend the 2nd way. Will the raido work using the radio knobs?
How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

rrboomer
Motorcycle: 1983 cb1000c

Postby rrboomer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:25 pm

Hello ! Get a shop book and a ltd electrical book or you will not know what you are doing ! Try this open the top box if the light does not work , no power,. I would then check the fuse in the left pocket , the one with the snaps,. Pull the plastic and in there is a fuse replace it if burnt. Also check the connections at the travel computer. If not connected the radio will not work. Good luck joe

goldtr6c
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1982 GL1100 STD
1976 GL1000 "800lb Canary"

Postby goldtr6c » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:32 pm

I have had the same problems with my LTD. Sometime the switches work, sometimes not. It has bugged me now for 10 yrs. Should you find a cure for this, please post it. I've done everything except dance around the bike butt naked with a rubber chicken in each hand.

rjbeck

Postby rjbeck » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:37 am

Sorry this took so long to make a reply. I only have dial up at home. The radio works with a tape in it but not able to tune with the controls on the left handlebar. I think that if I take the switches apart as suggested, I'm hoping that will fix the problem.

I checked the fuse in the left front pocket and it's fine as are all the fuses in the tank. Have not had a chance to look at the switch down by the swingarm yet. But maybe on Sunday.

rjbeck

Postby rjbeck » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:32 pm

Okay, took the bike out this weekend and put about 300+ miles on it on Saturday. No problems whatsoever. Went on a "short" run today about 45 miles away and once got there, had to get a jump to get the bike going again. I didn't think much of it, but was a little concerned since I have heard about the stator wire connector melting. So on the way home was about 10 miles from home and could smell something hot. Then shortly after lost all lights, speedo, tach, all electronics. So I called the wife and said come with the jumper cables. She did and we got the bike started back up. We got about a mile from home and the same thing happened. So it's now home and up on the center stand with the battery out. I took the connector apart and guess what, it's melted.

So my question is in regards to the wires. Which ones do I connect together? I plan on soldering and then also heatshrink tape them. I haven't taken the connectors off yet.

goldtr6c
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1982 GL1100 STD
1976 GL1000 "800lb Canary"

Postby goldtr6c » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:13 am

If you're refering to the three yellow wires to the stator, it doesn't matter which goes to which here. they all do the same thing. Just hard solder them and you be OK. You might keep watch on the connectors to the regulater also. I had mine smoke out right before my eyes. Had I been on the road, it could have been nasty. I hard soldered these too.

rjbeck

Postby rjbeck » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Thanks for the help. Can I put all five together and make one connection? Guess I just answered my own question. That would be bad. Would it be wise to replace the wiring with 12 gauge wire?

rjbeck

Postby rjbeck » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:44 am

So here is a new problem. I can start the bike up but then after running for about three or four minutes she starts to run difficult and not charge the battery per the volt meter on the dash. I am going to be taking the fairing apart today and trying to trace the stator wires. Then I will replace them with new wire. On the regulator, how can I tell what is supposed to be going through that, voltage or ohms wise?

I also read the stator post about having infinite ohms with the bike off and then having about 45 volts with it running. I will test that also today hopefully (if I can get the false tank off ;) ). I will have to charge the battery off my "portable" battery.

Thanks for the help.
Roger

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”