clunk/pop and slight jerk letting off clutch

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
biker_guy
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

clunk/pop and slight jerk letting off clutch

Postby biker_guy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:42 pm

ok I will say the clutch master cylinder is leaking a bit. But I've made sure it's always full so it never gets air. Also I used to drive a stick and the clutch went out so I know what that feel like so that's not it. OK what it is. When I take off everything feels fine until the clutch is 100% let off and can here a slight clunk/pop and it jerks slightly. it only happens starting out in first gear. Down shifting no problem. It comes from the rear of the bike. Is there a U-joint I can replace? Or is this the symptoms of seals needing replaced?

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: clunk/pop and slight jerk letting off clutch

Postby HALBUDD » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:04 pm

biker_guy You may want to try this put your bike on center stand then put bike in first gear. Try moving rear wheel back and forth see if there is any play there should be very little play. Also there is u joint on the back of your engine that connects to your drive shaft it is covered by a rubber boot just under your seat if you pull back the boot you can see the u joint check it for any damage or play. If you get the finial drive off be sure to put moly grease on all and the u joint . If you have a lot of play in your rear end it may be your final drive gears and may need to be replaced. Good luck Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

biker_guy

Postby biker_guy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:27 pm

Ok so I just ran out can checked. There is some play. I couldn't get a very good look at the u-joint. But when I moved the boot back I was able to still reach the wheel so moved it to see what is happening. the entire shaft is moving even the short part coming out of the motor. I tired turning the short part to see if the u-joint is also bad. With out being able to get my entire hand on it it seems like all the play is from the short shaft coming out of the motor. SO....how bad is that?

biker_guy

Postby biker_guy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:36 pm

Well I'll post back tomorrow. I was looking at an exploded view of the parts and I think I need to get a better look in the day time. One part of the boot I could just pull back. The other part has this "coil spring" keeping it attached to the motor. How do I get that off so I can get a good look?

rfoley
Motorcycle: 2002 Gold Wing

Postby rfoley » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:21 pm

What of oil r u using u do know ur running a wet clucth and u will need to a motorcycle oil that fits that applation
Roger Foley
Louisville Ky. 40214

HALBUDD

Postby HALBUDD » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:21 pm

Biker_guy Take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the large spring off of the rubber boot you should be able to get to the u-joint.Try to wiggle the u_joint or feel it for any damage,if bike is in gear there should not be much play in it look to see if there is moly grease on your splines if not its not good. I had my 85 aspey the u_joint was torn up, and causing a loud clunk and not wanting to move. Check all these things also check your oil level in your final drive it should be up to the threads on your inspection cap Good Luck Hal

biker_guy

Postby biker_guy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:21 pm

Thanks for all the help! I think I'm going to start with square one. Someone reminded me no air got in the clutch line since I've had this bike so what about the previous owner? Also it has 50 K miles. for all I know the clutch is factory how long do they last? Also does anyone have an actual measurement of the play allowance like how far the tire should turn? I had a guy at work who's better then me with motors look at it and he said he had some year 1100 honda shaft driven bike with no problems and said my play was about the same as his. I have a few parts that are supposed to be in today so this weekend I SHOULD be changing the oil and I'll know I have the right stuff and I'll also bleed the clutch and start simple and going forward. Instead of the other way. I'll keep you all updated

when you say final drive oil should be up to the threads is that on the center stand or side stand?

HALBUDD

Postby HALBUDD » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:55 pm

center stand Good Luck Hal

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:24 am

For what it's worth, my 94A has 152,000 miles on the clock, with the original clutch as strong as ever. All but about 20,000 mi using full syn oil, too, by the way...

Ron in MI
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

biker_guy

Postby biker_guy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:11 pm

k well nothing showed up this weekend...so I'm just waiting... :roll:

biker_guy

Postby biker_guy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:04 pm

so yeah fedex says my parts where delivered to my door step the weekend I thought I was going to get them. The problem is they aren't there and I was home the entire time. Called fedex and they're trying to track it down. I've ordered stuff in the mail for years and this is a first.

biker_guy

Postby biker_guy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:18 am

Well one of the parts I'm still waiting on is a valve cover gasket. I decided to say screw it with the gasket and just do the oil change. Well, rfoley called. Don't know what oil the PO put in it, but I put the correct oil (one of the many approved correct oils for wet clutches on this site) and all is well. So now I just need to repair that master cylinder and I can put these clutch issues behind me...for a while cause I'm hanging on to this bike for some time. Thanks for the help.

rfoley
Motorcycle: 2002 Gold Wing

Postby rfoley » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:26 am

Gald to help,just passing on infor.Hope thing go well so u gan ride.

Roger Foley
Louisville Ky. 40214

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”