taking a look see

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
actionpack
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

taking a look see

Postby actionpack » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:17 pm

i wanted to take a peek at my timming belt on my 85 aspey , got into it tonite and got stopped real quick , radiator is stopping me from getting to the inter bolts on the cover , i don't want to pull radiator , thinking there mite be 30k on these belts going by the po statment to me when i bought the wing , should i just button this thing back up and wait for more miles , i just wanted to see what kind of shape there in , i think maybe i could use a short allen with a rachet whech , but don't no if i could get the gaskets back on right due to the amount of room in there , what do ya think

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: taking a look see

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:20 am

You CAN do it without pulling the radiator (I have) - but I wouldn't recommend it. It will take three times as long, and you'll end up with lots of skinned knuckles and swearing.

THAT said...there is absolutely NO POINT in pulling the covers to "take a look" at your timing belts. They are not like regular drive belts, and they do not wear like regular drive belts. They are designed not to stretch at ALL, in order to keep the timing perfect. As such, they don't crack with age and use like regular drive belts. Timing belts that are just about to fail can look exactly the same as belts that will last for another 30,000 miles.

If you don't know how many miles (or years) are on your current belts, then the time to change them is now. Then you'll know for sure.

actionpack

Postby actionpack » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:11 am

WingAdmin wrote:You CAN do it without pulling the radiator (I have) - but I wouldn't recommend it. It will take three times as long, and you'll end up with lots of skinned knuckles and swearing.

THAT said...there is absolutely NO POINT in pulling the covers to "take a look" at your timing belts. They are not like regular drive belts, and they do not wear like regular drive belts. They are designed not to stretch at ALL, in order to keep the timing perfect. As such, they don't crack with age and use like regular drive belts. Timing belts that are just about to fail can look exactly the same as belts that will last for another 30,000 miles.

If you don't know how many miles (or years) are on your current belts, then the time to change them is now. Then you'll know for sure.

ok thanks for the info , talked to the po and he said they should be good for another 5 k , whch is'nt alot , guess i'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get er done

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:52 pm

actionpack wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:You CAN do it without pulling the radiator (I have) - but I wouldn't recommend it. It will take three times as long, and you'll end up with lots of skinned knuckles and swearing.

ok thanks for the info , talked to the po and he said they should be good for another 5 k , whch is'nt alot , guess i'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get er done

I have to ask. Who is the PRO??????? Did you buy the bike from him and was he the previous owner????? As wingadmin stated, if you don't know for sure then its time. I am glad to see you are going to bite the bullet and do it. It CAN save an engine. Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:26 pm

I think you mis-read, he said talk to the PO (Previous Owner) not pro so you answered your own question.

Gary

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:33 pm

thrasherg wrote:I think you mis-read, he said talk to the PO (Previous Owner) not pro so you answered your own question.

Gary

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your right!!!!!!!!!!!!! Open my beady little eyes.

actionpack

Postby actionpack » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:48 pm

vtxcandyred wrote:
thrasherg wrote:I think you mis-read, he said talk to the PO (Previous Owner) not pro so you answered your own question.

Gary

the po stayed on top of this wing like a hawk , he is a good whech and worked at a little bike shop and at home repairing bikes , i'm sorry to say the owner of the small bike shop died over the winter , would ya have a number on the belt for gates so i can get 1 ordered, it is a 85 1200 aspencade , thanks a million for your expert advice , and what brand of anti freeze should be used , they wanted 8 bucks a quart for honda anti freeze , there has to be a good cheaper sub for this , again thanks all for the replys , and what number on the gates radiator hose , and themostat , can ya think of anything esle i will need

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:35 pm

actionpack wrote:
vtxcandyred wrote:

Gary

the po stayed on top of this wing like a hawk , he is a good whech and worked at a little bike shop and at home repairing bikes , i'm sorry to say the owner of the small bike shop died over the winter , would ya have a number on the belt for gates so i can get 1 ordered, it is a 85 1200 aspencade , thanks a million for your expert advice , and what brand of anti freeze should be used , they wanted 8 bucks a quart for honda anti freeze , there has to be a good cheaper sub for this , again thanks all for the replys , and what number on the gates radiator hose , and themostat , can ya think of anything esle i will need

Can I ask a personal question. Where did you buy that Aspy????? I looks an awful lot like my old 85 Aspy. I sold it to a guy in PA.

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:38 pm

actionpack

Postby actionpack » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:51 pm

nice wing vtx , looks like it could be a sister to mine ,

rfoley
Motorcycle: 2002 Gold Wing

Postby rfoley » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:32 pm

there is a wrench u dan buy i got one off e-bay u can change the belts w/o pulling the rad. it has a small handle with a swivel and allen wrench on end. i changed my using that wrench.
Roger Foley
Louisville Ky. 40214

actionpack

Postby actionpack » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:41 pm

rfoley wrote:there is a wrench u dan buy i got one off e-bay u can change the belts w/o pulling the rad. it has a small handle with a swivel and allen wrench on end. i changed my using that wrench.

cool , thanks for the heads up , what do ya look in tools for this whech

rfoley
Motorcycle: 2002 Gold Wing

Postby rfoley » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:52 pm

not sure maybe someone else will step up and help i would staet with timing belts

Roger Foley
Louisville Ky. 40214

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”