86 sei, no spark

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
dalemesser
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade SE-i

86 sei, no spark

Postby dalemesser » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:49 pm

I have an 1986 sei, that will not start. I have spark at the plugs for a few seconds then it disappears, turn the key off wait a few minutes, and it sparks again for a few seconds. I have replaced the coils, (those babies are not cheap) with new ones, same thing. I also cannot find the ignition control unit, the manual say's it's above the air filter box, no it isn't. Wires are bundled so tight I can't trace them back to the icu, I hate to try to separate them for tracing. I have checked the pulse generator coils, and they do seem weak, but not sure what the ohm reading should be. Love riding this cycle, but my next purchase might be a stick of dynamite. I sure would appreciate some help.
Thanks, Dale

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Re: 86 sei, no spark

Postby landisr » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:21 am

Others can chime in with wisdom specific to the SEI, but I believe the module is in front of, and below the airbox, buried under (?) the coils. But by the symptoms you describe, it sure sounds like you have a weak battery. It can spin the starter but only have borderline power to fire the coils. Try the simple (and CHEAP) things first: have you tried jumping the battery? Giving it a 'full charge' may still hide the issue if the battery has a weak or dead cell.

Just a thought. Good luck my friend.

Ron in MI
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

dalemesser

Postby dalemesser » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:02 am

Thanks Ron, the ICU is defiantly not under the coils, (I replaced the old coils with new), there are two units that look like relays under the coil, but that's all. The battery has a full charge plus I did try the jumper to the car technique, no results. As for the ICU, I'm hearing that it may be combined with the power unit under the rear trunk, not sure of that as of yet though.
Thanks again, Dale

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:49 am

Yep, I guess that's just one of many differences between the FI models and the Interstates. Sorry it wasn't the battery. How about fuel? Have you tried starting fluid (Ether)? Didn't hurt to ask. ;)

Again, good luck. The season will be upon us before we know it (at least here in MI).

Ron
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

dalemesser

Postby dalemesser » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:45 pm

An update on the problem with no spark. As is often the case, it was a simple fix. I had inadvertently unplugged the resistor on top of the rear fender. Plugged it back in and the goldwing did its thing, fired right up. Music to these old ears.
Thanks for the help. Dale

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”