Seeing a Old Wing Show Her Wings

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
fastf
Motorcycle: 2003 honda goldwing

Seeing a Old Wing Show Her Wings

Postby fastf » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:28 pm

Alot of you have read and heard my trails and questions about a old 1985 Goldwing 1200 LTD I bought back last September.Well after working on this old girl for about six months and replacing this cleaning that I got to a chance to ride it to work. Some of the guys at work had heard me talk about what I went through bringing her back and were amazed at how nice the old girl was and couldn't believe it was a 26 year old motorcycle the night I road it to work was the night the full moon was the closest to us in 20 years well my shift started at 9:45 pm and goes to 6:00 am when I went to work that night it was 74 degrees and when I left work it was about 50 degrees I brought a heavy coat to put on in case it was cold any how started her up and let it warm up while I put my coat on and helment on then my gloves on started out to the highway and headed toward home the moon was full and I had the headset on listening to the radio I turned the volume down and just listened to the music she was playing to me believe me she was singing to me she and showing me her true wings I could have not been more proud of her and the early morning air and the moon could been more beautiful it was like you could just reach out and touch it you had just have to be there it was one of those moments words cannot explain. Well when I got I got home and pulled it inside the garage I looked at her and smiled at her and thought finally she is starting to pay me back for alot of sleepless nights and the time I have spent and the money I spent on her.So you people who have bought a bike and are trying to restore it. Take your time and in time your wing will spread her wings too and maybe just maybe you will write something like this.I want to thank Darby and alot of the other people over the months for their support and help you guys are the greatest I fill I have friends I never met but can call on if I need help when i'm stumped. God Bless and take care

86GW1200
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade

Re: Seeing a Old Wing Show Her Wings

Postby 86GW1200 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:38 pm

Hey, congrats to you. It really is something to go through all that and get her running well. Your story is very much like mine - sitting 8 years is NOT good for these machines. Took the wife for a quick 100 mile spin today. Love it! Enjoy your time on the old girl :D

N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

Postby N2PPN » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:03 pm

Wow,
Glad to see you stuck with it and saw it through, the ride is what makes it all worthwhile... I can definitely identify with you, and your love affair with that two wheeled lady of yours...

ride her and enjoy...

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

TDarby719
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD

Postby TDarby719 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:37 pm

Way to keep after it. That mileage is outstanding and it sounds like you really paid attention when dialing in the synchronizing. Working on the collar you are needing.

starfleetengineer
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:31 pm

Treat her like a lady, and she'll always bring you home!
How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

fastf

Postby fastf » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:39 pm

Went riding today down old high way 41 from Barnesville Ga to Forsyth Ga then down I-75 to Macon my wife and I about 46-47 ate lunch in Macon Ga China restraint got back on I-75 South down to Byron Ga there is a Lumber Liqudators looked at flooring came from Byron Ga to Fort Valley Ga. to Hwy 341 North to Coluden Ga turned left to Yatesville Ga come to the caution light turn right and get on Barnesville-Yatesville road till you to Willis road and then home about 130 miles Average miles windy and all two up about 44-48.5 miles per gal she didn't miss a beat.I'M tickeled pink she ran like a Swiss watch.

N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

Postby N2PPN » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:43 pm

I am so friggin' jealous right now....

:lol:

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

fastf

Postby fastf » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Your time will come and then look out .You will be telling the world about the good time you are having or just come on down to Georgia and enjoy the weather when it ain"t raining and the tree pollen isn't messing the sinus up. Take in mind here in Georgia we get humidity like crazy here soon you might not like all the heat some do and some don't .Take Care and God is Good and one day I hope we will have Golden Wings and walk the streets of Gold Amen.

starfleetengineer
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:19 pm

N2PPN wrote:I am so friggin' jealous right now....

:lol:

Rich

Take your time ;) I have to work myself back into it. I can only ride short rides right now, and not sure if I am storng enough to put mama on the back yet. Since my stroke Feb 9th I have been slowly bringing myself back. I don't push it, but do just a little extra every day. since my stroke I have only riden 50 miles. Sucks on the fuel being all in town riding, but I'll take the hit to get all the way back in the saddle ;)
How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

fastf

Postby fastf » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:02 pm

Oh what was cool my wife was on the back and we were listening to the radio through the headsets so I switched to the bikes speakers .Comming back up Highway 341 I muted the radio for a second and said to my wife listen to the old girl just listen she singing to me and you she would get on hill and you could hear the engines low end torque of the engine she was singing me comming from a mechanics family I know when a engine is running right and she was doing her best.You know what I mean.

TDarby719
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD

Postby TDarby719 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:19 pm

If you have a microphone with your head sets...... You can adjust the microphone volume and mute settings so that you don't have to push the mute button. The voice will mute the radio/cassette and allow you to talk over the music. Works the same as the CB over ride. Just so you know. :D

fastf

Postby fastf » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:32 am

Thanks for the advise this was for a moment I wanted to hear the sound of the bike running. I had just resync the throttle body and such was admiring how she was performing .Actually I switched to the speakers on the bike and talked through the intercom got tired of listening through the headset tried something different for a change yesterday was enjoyable my wife and I had time to spend together and it was a chance to see what kind of gas mileage overall it was going to do with two up and the wind blowing I was getting around 44 -about 48.5 somewhere around that when not hitting the headwinds any how thanks for the advise I had played with the radio on several occasions and noticed what you can do and not do just got the FM fixed sent it to serria electronic they found out that a groment in radio was causing the two curcuit boards to touch causing them to short when they put the groment in the Fm started working a and the tape player started working heck now I'm a high tech redneck on a 1985 Goldwing .Have a Blessed Day Lol

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Postby maestro319 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:18 am

Yeah...it's those special moments that make living worthwhile. Riding in the early morning, with a big 'ol full moon, music playing, geez, gives me chills just thinking about it. I'll bet you could have ridden that way for hours!! Then, you guys who have your wives or girlfriends on the back cruising down the road, both of you in the moment. Man sounds good 'cuz I can't get my wife to ride with me. (at least that's the way it was last year when I first started riding) Guess she thinks I was/am very inexperienced. And I am. So I'm looking forward to this summer where I hope to get her to ride at least a few times with me, and maybe I'll have a couple of those special moments too.

fastf

Postby fastf » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:04 am

Until the latter of this past year my wife i'm married to now had never road a bike with me you see she is my second wife.She had heard about me riding bikes from friends of mine.Her first husband rode a bike and still does now a 1800 goldwing .The first of last year I almost lost her she had a heart attack and almost lost her right leg from a blood clot from a heart cath to open her arteries both lungs collapsed and in a coma for 14 days she was in the hospital for 18 days Feb 2010 and came out of the coma 14 of Feb 2010 In August 13 she had to have quadruple .Bypass surgery both the inside of her right leg and her left leg she doesn't have any feeling she cannot get up on the bike on the left side like normal people she gets on the right because she hasn't much strength in one of her legs.But for her to be with me riding this old girl and we both enjoying life for what she and I have been through is a blessing from Lord God and I would not take a Gold monkey for it. Thanks for all you reading my story God Bless PS. there is more to this story but don't like to go into much detail but all I can say is God had taught a old dog like me to be humble and to believe in Angles.

tongy66086
Motorcycle: 1984 Gl1200 Aspencade

Postby tongy66086 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:49 pm

Congratulations on getting the bike back on the road.
I did almost a complete rebuild on mine winter of '09 and it was the best therapy in the world.
I rarely listen the the radio in mine....I'd much rather listen the the mechanical music the engine makes.
Congrats again.

Bob

fastf

Postby fastf » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:08 pm

Well folks she is still singing to me and spreading her wings.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”