How to remove cylinder head after all bolts removed

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
SAILOR
Motorcycle: 1984 honda goldwing

How to remove cylinder head after all bolts removed

Postby SAILOR » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:03 pm

I'm trying to ge the heads of a 1984 gl1200. They are stuck on there good. Guess 25 years of services has fused them good.

I have removed everything all 6 cylinder head bolts and the sneaky seventh one behind the exhaust. Have remove the two bolts from each carb, 4 in all. I removed the 2 water intake bolts. Exhaust is disconnected. I beat on the cylinder head hosing between the spark plugs, on each end with rubber mallet, but I can get the head lose. I'm temped to take a screw diver try to pry off the head but I know what heads.

Does anyone have some suggestions on how to get them off without breaking them, or damaging them.

greg 1944
Motorcycle: gl1000 gl1100 gl1200

Re: How to remove cylinder head after all bolts removed

Postby greg 1944 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:04 pm

I used a block of wood, a small hammer, and a lot of time! Good Luck!

SAILOR

Postby SAILOR » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:53 pm

I found a quick and easy way.

What I did was take a piece of non-stretch line, in my case a piece of old spectra i had laying around. I ran it behind the intake outlets to both the carb and the water. Then doubled up tied the rope around a secure spot directly out from the head. Then on the other side of the bike I tied a rope around my handle bars to a secure object to directly parallel to the rope around the head. Then I ran a stick through the doubled up rope that was fashoned to the head and started twisting the rope around. This putting more and more tension on the top of the head. Once the twisted line was tight, I mean really tight, i then started beating on the head with a rubber mallet. Within a minute the head popped off. Oh by the way make sure you leave at least one head bolt in so it doesn't go flying when it comes free.

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:59 pm

Sounds like a nifty approach, Sailor. Could you just clarify where you routed the line on the guilty head? Thanks. Ron in MI
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

SAILOR

Postby SAILOR » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:48 pm

I ran the small rope under the secondary air supply tubes that plug into the top of the head, as well as under the water inlet tube. This way the rope was actually pulling on the head. I dead ended the rope to the bottom one of the poles that held up my house over hang, which was about 10 feet away so it was kind of pulling down slightly on the head.

rcgreg
Motorcycle: 1984 Interstate

Postby rcgreg » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:44 pm

Did you remove the front cover - or is that not required.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”