How I fixed my static/noisy radio

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
goldiehonda
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda Aspencade

How I fixed my static/noisy radio

Postby goldiehonda » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:34 am

I thought this might be helpful for those who've had the same problems with their factory radio.

I have an 84 Aspencade that would frequently suffer from severe radio static/popping noises. I discovered by accident that it was originating from the volume/tone control on the lower left fairing. (this unit raises the volume with speed) When I pulled the unit apart, there was a piece of deteriorated foam covering the circuit board. (for lack of the technical terms, there is a transistor microphone thingamabob inside) This "microphone" was extremely sensitive and I think the old foam wasn't protecting as originally planned. I added a new layer of stiff foam, closed the box back up and reinstalled and I have not had any more incident's of static.

Happily motoring with my tunes again.....

paramed3132
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a aspencade

Re: How I fixed my static/noisy radio

Postby paramed3132 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:48 am

How did you get the board off. Mine has the same problem but there aren't any screws to take it off it looks like it is rivoted on..Thanks Chris

goldiehonda
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda Aspencade

Re: How I fixed my static/noisy radio

Postby goldiehonda » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:09 pm

I don't remember exactly, but I thought the back came off the housing unit. Or I could have pulled it off from the front of the unit....I'm sorry, unless I could see a picture of the unit again I am at a loss. I remember pulling the unit from the fairing....and I'm not even blond anymore.... :D

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”