1985 GoldWing Ltd Stator & Regulator/rectifer

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
gg125067
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Ltd
1983 VT500 Shadow
1985 VT350 Yamaha

1985 GoldWing Ltd Stator & Regulator/rectifer

Postby gg125067 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:22 pm

I would like to get some info from people who have had to replace their stator/regulator. What brand or where did they purchased it from? My stator has a temperature issue and the output varies with it. I need to make a decision as to where the best place to get a replacement is or from the dealer?

Dave McG
Motorcycle: GL1200A and GL1500SE

Re: 1985 GoldWing Ltd Stator & Regulator/rectifer

Postby Dave McG » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:04 pm

I just replaced the stator in my '84, which is at least the 3rd one on this bike (the second stator since I have owned it). I got the stator on ebay from an outfit called RM Stator, and so far it looks pretty good - 14V on idle. Time will tell how long it lasts.

Dave

85LEgburr
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition

Postby 85LEgburr » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:26 pm

Wondering more about the stator replacement. I need to test and make sure it needs replacing. Did you go ahead and replace the stator? What were the readings that lead you to do this? I have an electrical problem but I am not sure if it is the stator or regulator. I can smell wires burning and the volts on the voltmeter do not read what was original. The volts have fallen. Bike will start one time, volts only read to 12V and then falling quickly. Bike was running fine. This started one day as I was driving home from work. The bike died at a stop sign, could not push start. It has 49907 miles and does not appear to have been tampered with previously.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:52 pm

I would check the master fuse, as well as the wire harness between the stator and the regulator. On the 1100, there is a connector on that harness that fails and melts - I don't know if the 1200 is the same.

Right Winger
Motorcycle: 85 ltd
84aspy

Postby Right Winger » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:34 pm

Well guys I'm in the same boat I need a stator, and i would also like to know who might be the best source to obtain a good quality stator. I would gladly get one from Mother Honda if they were available. My bike has the original stator it lasted twenty five years :!: So if I can find one that will last half that time I will be satisfied :D

kg5dd
Motorcycle: 1976 cb750,1975 gl1000,1976gl1000 LTD, 1986gl1200SEI

Postby kg5dd » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:53 pm

AWLKRSN wrote:Well guys I'm in the same boat I need a stator, and i would also like to know who might be the best source to obtain a good quality stator. I would gladly get one from Mother Honda if they were available. My bike has the original stator it lasted twenty five years :!: So if I can find one that will last half that time I will be satisfied :D

ricksmotorsportelectrics.com I just got a regulater from them for my 86 SEI. With a 1 yr warenty.
Last edited by kg5dd on Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kg5dd
Motorcycle: 1976 cb750,1975 gl1000,1976gl1000 LTD, 1986gl1200SEI

Postby kg5dd » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:03 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I would check the master fuse, as well as the wire harness between the stator and the regulator. On the 1100, there is a connector on that harness that fails and melts - I don't know if the 1200 is the same.

There are two white connector's with three yellow wires, one just to the left of the battery and one at the regulator. They both need to be hard wired and do away with the connectors, If you don't they will melt and fry the stator. Then you will have to pull the motor to replace the stator. Not much fun there. So just solder the three yellow wires together and use heat shrink not tape. One other thing you may want to do befor you solder the three yellow wires is check each yellow wire with a volt ohm meter they should have 50volts AC on each wire coming from the stator. Then check each yellow wire there should be continuity between each wire, Then check each wire to ground there should be no continuity there. If these do not check out then your stator is bad. Lee winger3@cox.net

Digitalsaw
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEI

Postby Digitalsaw » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:40 pm

Hey fellow wingers. It has been a few years (15 to be exact) since my last goldwing and I have purchased one just like the one I sold way back then. It is like welcoming back an old friend.
I found this stator thread interesting as I have to replace mine. The question I have for you guys is regarding replacing the stator. I have the Clymer manual for my bike (1986 Goldwing Aspencade SEI) but I was curious as to if the bike needs to really be 'split' to get to the stator? I'm a shade-tree mechanic (a pretty good one) but I love learning from other folks mistakes if you know what I mean. Any suggestions guys?
Thanks in advance.

Ghostrider52005
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LTD, 1984 GL1200 Interstate, VS 700 Suzuki Intruder.

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:33 pm

Before you go replacing the stator on an 85ltd check that the two plugs in the stator wire routing to battery and regulator are cut out and hardwired. Even if they have been if the wires look at all like they even may have gotten hot ie stiff discolored etc cut out those sections and rewire with 12 ga wire. Dont use crimp connectors bullet connectors etc. Solder the connections, even a bad solder job can cause the stator output to act wierd. Also the red and white wires and the two green and one black. If any of these are cooked at all your stator will not put out what is should.
Unlike the stators on 1200 interstates aspys etc the ltd stators rarely fail, but the wiring sucks. A stator that is dead will not charge period. if its putting out anything its probably still good and the culprit is the wiring. A lot of ltd stators have been tossed by owners because they were checked somwhere up line in the system. Only way to know a ltd stator is bad is to cut the wires very near the stator and check it there.
The stators for the other 1200 s are smaller and less amps than the ltd and sei

Ghostrider52005

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:47 pm

Follow up. Should your ltd stator go bad" nothing lasts forever" its cheaper, easier and youll thank yourself a thousand times if you just do a car alternator conversion on it. More voltage, no engine to pull should the alternator go bad on you on the road since you can just yank off the alternator and take it to a local alt repair shop. There are kits that can be bought to do this that have the crank pulley spacer and couple of doo dads for around 175 to 200 bucks but no alt included.
If you look up the parts yourself and do the work which isnt hard to do, you can do the conversion for around 80 bucks.
I havent done my 85ltd because the only charging problem its had was on a trip to texas from ky which turned out to be a crimp connection plug replacement job by the po that heated up the wires near the regulator. Not melted just kind of over heated and stiff. Fixed the connection and six inches of new wire on each stator wire and charging like a bandit.
My friends 12 interstate stator did go however. No fluctuating charging etc just charging and then dead when it burned out. We did the alt conversion on it 2 years ago. Still running the same belt and charging great 40.000 miles later with plenty of reserve power to hook up about any sort of lights or doo dads he wants. :D

sgrider
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Postby sgrider » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:15 pm

I have to ask this because i'm not sure if hardwiring is better than just making sure you have a good clean connection. Got to wonder why Honda did it with a connection fit if it was a real bad idea. I've heard this time after time about the electical system on these bikes and also heard that its around 50,000 miles when she'll go out, not sure why that makes a difference. I am one who likes to keep things as stock as possible and have not hard wired my 86 Aspencade with 21,000 miles on it as of yet. I guess i'm good for just under 30,000 miles before I need to worry about it :lol:

Right Winger
84aspy

Postby Right Winger » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:01 pm

I'm with you I like to keep things as designed I too want to replace my stator with a like part . The question is what brand has the best track record . I would like to know what the majority would use . In other words what is the best. THE CAR CONVERSION IS NOT AN OPTION :) TO ME
Last edited by Right Winger on Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghostrider52005

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:20 pm

Trust that if you dont hardwire the connections youve read about, including the regulator connection it will give you problems. For sure. Even the older Honda techs at the Honda shops will tell you this. Honda like every other bike manufacturer has made its blunders on certain models. On the 1200 series it was the wiring, connections and stator. As far as which brand of regulator to get to replace with go with the Honda regulator. it still available and is heavier than the after market replacements.
Hardwiring all the connections can possibly save an early stator replacement. Heat is the enemy and the sucky connections on the 1200 simply wont handle the heat break down over time and over heat the stator.
The ltd stator is heavier with more output and doesnt fail like the other models unless the wiring connections take a dump and blow the stator.
As far as the car alternator conversion not being an option each to his own. Mine doesnt have it,,,yet,, my friends does. it is a far superior setup to the stock stator set up on the 1200, both for available power, ease of replacement, initial cost to do it vs replacing the stock stator and on and on.
I dont sell em, dont know anyone who does and we made my friends conversion from scratch so I dont have a dog in the fight, but lose a stator 1000 mi from home and good luck finding a place willing to work on it pull the engine etc and get ready to sell the farm to pay for it.
With the alt conversion its a snap to get back on the road for very little. Pull the alternator find a alternator shop and for about 30 bucks your running again vs a grand or more to replace a stator even if you can find a shop on the road to do it. My friends has been running two years year round long trips short trips rain snow for 40 thousand miles now on the same alternator and belt that we put on originally and is still going strong. Hope it helps :D

Right Winger
84aspy

Postby Right Winger » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:04 pm

Well no Ghostrider it doesn't really help :) . Everytime stator is mentioned alt conv comes up. What I am trying to find out from the ones that has replaced and will replace the ORIGINAL stator what is recommended . I agree with you the car conv is probably the way to go if you are going to ride everyday( long distance) and have a lot of electricial goodies . In other words and everyday driver. I have two bikes LTD/84 Aspy . I want the LTD to stay as designed it is (if not alleady) going to be a classic . Only made one year and soon will be as scarace as hens teeth :lol: I want to retain its originality for that purpose . Which is the very reason I purchased the bike Now on the other hand if the stator on my Aspy even hiccup on goes the alt conv. I have it waiting and ready should I need it without question. 5yrs 70 k no problem yet ;) Not to be ungreatful for your help BUT any other way other than I described above would defeat my purpose :) By the way Honda has discontinued the OEM stator

Ghostrider52005

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:34 am

Ok I see what your doing now lol. Yep the oem stator isnt available anymore, the regulator is.
I havent replaced the stator on my ltd cuz it hasnt quit, and though I do take 1000 mi trips I can pull some light bulbs and use a small charger that I carry and get home if I had to. I dont plan on selling the bike so keeping it original wasnt really on my head when I posted lol. Cant recommend a stator brand myself having never had to change out.
About the only thing i can say on that from my own personal knowledge is that the wiring cut out my charge on a trip to Texas where it got hot next to the regulator. Cut out the connection and some wire on either side and she started charging normal again after a solder job and has been ever since.
Anyway sorry I didnt quite get what you were driving at on the first go around lol. Be safe Ghost

sgrider
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Postby sgrider » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:13 pm

I'm not a bike mechanic so I need to understand where the hardwire connections are. I Know the one near the battery butt it seems to me I here there is another one near the stator and you have to replace and or add wire. What is the process of this Honda blunder? :roll:
Thanks, SGrider

rgcooper
Motorcycle: 1985 goldwing ltd

Postby rgcooper » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:09 pm

Do not have yours re-wound. Purchase a new one from Honda. However, that may not solve your problem. My father -in -law just put a new stator in his. It ran great for 15 min. , then totally discharged. The "85 L.T.D.'s have big issues. Any quality repair shop w/ experience on this bike will tell you to sell it or blow it up. Sorry.

scrbowler
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby scrbowler » Sun May 09, 2010 10:37 pm

I just purchased an '86 GL1200 (not running) and I have found a burnt connector right behind the regulator (see picture) Has anyone experienced this happening to their bike and what was the fix (i.e. regulator, stator or just removing connector and soldering the wiring together)? Thank you!! Steve Willard

Right Winger
84aspy

Postby Right Winger » Mon May 10, 2010 2:19 am

That is a typical problem it requires cutting out the plug and hardwire the connection . And the other one behind the left side cover the plug that comes from the regulator going to the stator is another you should check . Eleminate the plug and hard wire also . But before you soder the wires check the output of the charging system to see what it is putting out . Because if it isn't charging you will have to have them apart to check the system . You might want to refer to a shop manual to get the correct procedure to check out the charging system.

scrbowler
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby scrbowler » Mon May 10, 2010 6:44 am

Thank you for the info! I will have to find out the method to check the output but that gives me a place to start.
I appreciate it!!!

Steve

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 10, 2010 6:55 am

Wow, that's the worst one I've ever seen - it actually crumbled the plastic. You're lucky it didn't catch fire. Do like he said and cut the connector out and wire directly in place.

Do you have an electrical meter to test the stator with?

Mooseman
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 88k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 25K

Postby Mooseman » Mon May 10, 2010 11:17 am

I have found that the wire near the connector is also discolored with corrosion. Cut back to clean wire then add your soldier connection with 12ga wire. I myself use bare butt connectors, crimp, sodier and cover with shrink tubing. Try and isolate the repair to keep it from flexing. Vibration or movement will cause your repair to fail. That is the only trouble with a soldiered connections. I used a heavy duty terminal block connector with ring connetors to match at the battery connector. These were also soldiered and covered with shrink tubing. Then covered with silicon to prevent corrosin. This also gives me a place to test and take things apart if I have too. Just my 2 cents.
No source on stator's. Last time I replaced one was on my 85 and I got that from the dealer in 1990 or so with 70k on the meter. At that time there was no internet to help out. At the time it was the GWRRA magazine. Their sugestion was soldier those connections and bypass those 2 plugs.
Mooseman
Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.
Mooseman

Right Winger
84aspy

Postby Right Winger » Fri May 14, 2010 7:47 pm

As far as regulator are concerned the regulator is still available from Honda. I just ordered one I am going to do a stator soon and I only want to do it once :lol: I wish the stator was still available

GW-RN
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade (soon)

Postby GW-RN » Sun May 16, 2010 2:45 pm

Hi Everyone!
I'm new to the site, and will be a new owner of a 84 Aspencade this week!! :D
I own a 07 Shadow Aero already and am on a forum in which we are looking for a stator to replace ours, this place has said they have one planned in the future, but not sure when. ANYWAY... they have stators and rectifiers listed for several years/models of GW. not too pricey either. http://www.electrosport.com/street/stators.php Hope they have the one you want
Last edited by GW-RN on Sun May 16, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phrancois
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD

Postby phrancois » Sun May 16, 2010 4:04 pm

I had the same problems with my regulator on my 85 LTD. I thought I was going to have to change the stator myself, but if you google Dave Cambell's name, he has a wire harness fix for 45 bucks. I bought a regulator off of Ebay, and the harness, wired it all in and my bike has never run so good. I thought I had a bad headlight, no it is great. I am now actually getting 14.3 volts at the battery when it is idling. He has a wealth of knowledge on these things and I highly recommend him. ;) :)

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”