STARTER HARD TO TURN BY HAND: normal or not?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
franky9322
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 INTERSTATE

STARTER HARD TO TURN BY HAND: normal or not?

Postby franky9322 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:38 pm

I took off my starter because last summer :sometime start slowly when hot.

so order a kit before i remove starter.

just in case i change bearing , seal,sleeve, the brush was only 2 mm used , i kept it..... and clean armature.

when i did close all covers......now it is very hard to turn pinion by hand or 2 finger.

on floor the starter dont dance when i connect to car battery.

reinstall starter on bike , with security switch at off , push button and engine crank as normal. my bike is in my home can not try hot for now.

so do i reinstall muffler and all stuff ? dont know if it will be ok when hot starting this summer.

like i said , hard to turn by fingers........... normal or not?

thanks

ramdam1
Motorcycle: 1981 GL 1100 Interstate
2011 Kawasaki Nomad

Re: STARTER HARD TO TURN BY HAND: normal or not?

Postby ramdam1 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:21 am

Can't speak for anyone else but I replaced mine instead of rebuilding it. Both moved freely by hand. Even the bad one.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:28 am

I have never tried a goldwing starter, but I have rebuilt many other motorcycle engines and have always been able to turn the shaft on the starter motor quite easily, so I think you have an issue with your starter motor. Hate to say it but I would be looking to replace it, as I would not want to removing the engine later in the year to change it again..
The only thing stopping the armature from turning is the friction caused by the brushes contacting the armature, you might want to remove the brushes, reassemble the motor and see if it rotates really easily. If it does then reassemble with the brushes and consider it good, but if it is difficult to turn without the brushes then you have to find what is wrong (Bearing failed, bearing not correctly seated or something missaligned).

Gary

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:33 am

It will loosen up with use. Yes, it can be normal for a rebuilt unit to be a bit stiff. If you were to take it off right now, you would likely find it a bit less stiff, and after a month of use it will be as free as it originally was when you took it off to rebuild it. The seals need to glaze a bit for it to free up. All of the foregoing is true only if the starter was assembled correctly. Did you have any difficulty getting any of the parts, especially the back case to go into place? If it all went together nicely, with no thumping or forcing, you should be good to go. Good luck with it, and I hope you solved your hot start problems. (which are sometimes due to engine compression coupled with a slightly low battery)

P.S. Just saw the post above mine, and it is correct also. I would do what that poster suggested and try it without the brushes to be sure.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”