86 Aspencade Carb removal

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
totintom
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 "A" Sei,
99 Shadow ACE Tour
08 Wildfire "Helix" clone.

86 Aspencade Carb removal

Postby totintom » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:51 pm

Got a project bike that runs, albeit poorly. Have fire on all four cylinders. The back cylinder on each side is apparently not getting fuel. I can pull the plug wires off and it does not affect the engine at all. Pretty sure the carbs need to be gone through. Do I have to take the breather box off to get to the carbs to remove and rebuild. The bike has potential. Also the choke cable is "frozen". Thanks for any and all help. Tom.

86GW1200
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade

Re: 86 Aspencade Carb removal

Postby 86GW1200 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:17 pm

Yup. Air box and mounts. Lower fairing. Plug wires. Intake tubes and a vacuum line along the left frame rail near air box. Fuel line at fuel pump. Slide carbs about 2/3 of the way to the left (as sitting on bike) and disconnect the choke cable and both throttle cables. Pull carbs the rest of the way, slowly and carefully. They hit on the top near where the plug wires are at and at the bottom at a sensor located on the top of the engine case. Don't forget the 4 metal lines that are just under the intake tubes.

Have fun. Buy quality gaskets and CLEAN everything. Clean as in all passages, jets and slides. Then re-assemble and enjoy the ride after you balance the carbs. Also easy if you have the guage/lines/fittings. I bought a kit online and it works perfect.

I also replaced the fuel lines (5.5mm) 1/4 might work and vacuum lines while I was in there.

totintom
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 "A" Sei,
99 Shadow ACE Tour
08 Wildfire "Helix" clone.

Re: 86 Aspencade Carb removal

Postby totintom » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:22 am

Thanks 86gw1200. I was hoping, against hope, that it would not be necessary. I have been trying to take the air box off and ONE screw just turns and turns without loosening. My cut-off tool is freshly oiled and ready to remove the screw. I appreciate the info. I may be back with other questions, but I will be back with results and updates. Any other help along the way will also be greatly appreciated.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”