Oil leaking from Timing Belt Cover

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
SAILOR
Motorcycle: 1984 honda goldwing

Oil leaking from Timing Belt Cover

Postby SAILOR » Tue May 17, 2011 12:17 am

I'm getting a small spot of oil on the ground under the timing belt cover after I ride the bike. It is about the size of a couple of silver dollars. I appears to be coming from the inside the timing belt area. What might be leaking oil behind the timing belt? The crankshaft, or the left and right camshaft, or both? If it is the crankshaft how do I fix that? If it happens to be the right or left camshaft how to I seal that up?

Bike is a 1984 Apsencade with 245k miles. Since it isn't leaking a ton, what about just making sure I top off the oil every few weeks when it low. Any thought on how long this will last before I have to bit the bullet and replace some gaskets.

Any tutorials on replacing those cran and cam shaft seals?

Greg

gsbuilder
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Oil leaking from Timing Belt Cover

Postby gsbuilder » Wed May 18, 2011 10:04 am

Sounds to me like a cam or crank seal leak. I would recommend taking care of it sooner rather than later. Replace timing belts at the same time, rubber and oil don't always play well together. I'm unsure of what kind of seals are used in the front of these motors, I didn't look when I was in there.

SAILOR

Postby SAILOR » Wed May 18, 2011 7:32 pm

I just replaced the head gasket, and timing belts. Wonder if it might be from valve cover gaskets i replaced? I noticed the value cover gaskets originally had some silicone next to the cam shaft. I didn't put any there when I put the valve cover gaskets back on. What are the procedures for re-installing the value cover gaskets?

Was wondering if anyone has thoughts about running/riding bike without timing belt covers to help identify where the oil is coming from. Any thoughts or problems doing this?

Also does anyone have a line on where to get cam and crankshaft seals for a 1984 GL1200? Assumming that is that is what is wrong. Can't seem to find any myself using google that is.

jaylstout
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 goldwing

Postby jaylstout » Mon May 23, 2011 3:16 pm

Just finished a wall to wall restoration overhaul on my 1984 Wing...the story on that is soon to be published. You can find the seals you need from Babbitt's Online or Cheap Cycle Parts. Word of warning on a rumor that you can use the crankshaft seal from a 1500 wing on the 1200's....YOU CANNOT...the direction of rotation on the 1500 seal is opposite of the 1200...I have a 1500 sitting in my tool box now for a souvenir.

Look at he cylinder head and valve / camshaft OEM diagrams on either of the two websites above, your seals will be there.

Good luck.

Jay

SAILOR

Postby SAILOR » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:53 pm

I took off the timing belt covers today and found the crankshaft seal to be the one leaking. Not leaking a lot, but some. I've written over 600 miles and still don't need to put any oil in. Is it possibly to replace that seal without tearing the whole bike apart? Anyone got the procedure written down with picture for replacing a leaky crankshaft seal?

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”