GL1200 ASP.CB/ intercom system

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
baba67
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1997 GL1500 SE W/ Voyager trike kit

GL1200 ASP.CB/ intercom system

Postby baba67 » Tue May 31, 2011 6:05 am

I recently purchased a new old stock never installed Honda CB system for the 1200..
I removed a older aftermarket hand held Dynavox component system...
My problem is I now no longer have intercom unless I am transmitting with the CB. The CB push to talk button allows headsets to operate.
I also no longer have radio to my head sets. I only get music thru the dash speakers.
The old intercom/CB system would voice activate, music came thru headsets....
Anybody have any experiance with this problem?

tricky

Re: GL1200 ASP.CB/ intercom system

Postby tricky » Tue May 31, 2011 6:48 pm

When you removed the old CB did you remove any of the needed parts?

Did you install the unit as per the options diagram?

Remove the CB

And with the radio and the headset junction box installed you should have intercom, music in the headset or speaker depending on the button position.

After you have verified it working that way then you can introduce the CB

baba67

Postby baba67 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:28 pm

Thank you for your response.
I installed the system as the factory instruction sheet specified. The only part that was not included in the kit was the "junction box"
It stated to attatch the junction box to the back of the cb unit with 4 screws. There was no junction box on my bike when I removed the after market cb system. I assume the previous owner removed it when he installed the hand held style cb system.I assume the junction box will plug into the last two DIN plugs that are still unused?
one is from the radio carrier housing and the other to the distribution box.....

tricky

Postby tricky » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:53 am

The way the 5 pin DIN's are orientated the junction box is required to make the connection. if you can find a short length of shielded cable with both ends the same ie, both male or both female, I cant remember which, you will have to have a look, you will be able to do without the junction box and use the cable to complete the connection between the radio and the terminal component.

The two leads from the radio you can see one has blue tape goes to the auto volume control then to the terminal component then out to the power amp then to the speakers, the other lead goes to the headset junction box this is where you can install the short lead (make sure it is shielded) this takes the intercom/music to the headsets via the terminal component. If you can find a headset junction box then install it instead of the short lead.
Attachments

baba67

Postby baba67 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:16 am

Thank You TRICKY!!!!
I guess the original was removed some number of years ago to add the aftermarket CB....
When the installation instructions said to mount the junction box on the back of the CB unit I was at a loss because there was no such component in the kit......
Thank you again for your info......Bob

tricky

Postby tricky » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:57 am

When the Aspencade was purchased new, the junction box was purchased as an option so that the intercom section could be activated.
The LTD model had this as standard.
When the CB kit was purchased then, the junction box would not be included in the kit although required of course.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”