Well, it happened

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Well, it happened

Postby maestro319 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:01 am

Well, it happened. My friend and I were going to meet up with a group from a neighboring town for a group ride. We got caught up in stop n go, bumper to bumper traffic. My '86 1200 started to heat up just a little bit. Then goofy things started happening. First, the idle started dropping. Then the cluch seemed to tightten up putting the friction point right next to the grip. Then the engine died and the starter “whirred” when I tried to start it. It took several tries but it did start. We started moving and it cooled down a little. Next stop, same thing. Then the goofiest thing that happened was the bike started going through the gears without me doing it!!! The readout went from 1st to 2nd to 3rd then to 4th. I was NOT touching the shifter!!! And the clutch wanted to let the bike “creep” forward when pulled in and me taking my foot off the brake. Sat in a parking lot for awhile then turned around and went home. All went well on highway, the only problems were when I was stopped with the engine idling. Any ideas?? HELP!!!

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Well, it happened

Postby thrasherg » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:08 am

I don't know if your bike has a hydraulic clutch, but if it has, the fluid can absorb water and then when it gets really hot (Like stuck in slow moving traffic) the water turns to steam, causing the clutch to behave as you described. I would suggest flushing the clutch hydraulic system to replace all the hydraulic fluid (I would do the brakes at the same time!) and that will probably cure it. If you have a cable operated clutch, then I would be looking at the cables as they may be fraying and close to failing!!

Regarding the electrical issues, I can only think you have an earthing problem or a dying computer, but I don't know enough about the wings electrical system to be sure..

Gary

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Re: Well, it happened

Postby maestro319 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:14 am

Great information Gary, thanks!! That seems like a very "doable" solution.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”