knocking

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Taken From Water
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

knocking

Postby Taken From Water » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:48 pm

Hello everyone,
I have a GL1200 Asp. that I have been working on and finnaly got it running.
Now I have a problem that can not figure out. there is a knock but it goes away if reved up.
no smoke to speak of and no metal shavings in the oil.
any ideas?

dan1951
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Re: knocking

Postby dan1951 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:16 pm

Without taking the motor apart, It,s hard to determine what it could be. I have had bikes with bad rod bearings that were noisey at idle but decrease at a higher R.P.M. due to higher oil volume and pressure. Try taking a long screw driver holding the bit end on various parts of the engine crankcase and the handle against Your ear to see if You can locate the noise. It cost a bit of money but try replacing some of oil with STP or LUCUS oil treatment to bring the viscosity up to see if it tones it down a bit.It,s not a permanent fix. Does Your oil pressure light go out at a 750-850R.P.M. idle? High miler or low? Piston slap will increase with load and R.P.M. It,s really a shot in the dark without hearing it for Myself, Perhaps someone else on the forum has had the same problem and could give You a better shot at what it could be. Good luck to Ya.

Taken From Water
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby Taken From Water » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:55 pm

Hello everyone,
I thought I should give you an update on the knocking. Since the cycle has been sitting for a long time and had just got it starting, and the noice were everywhere. I dicided maybe it is just full of junk, sh@t, you know those guys and gals who don't undrestand a machine needs an oil change every so often. I tuned the carbs, made sure I had the timing then i pured 1.25 qt of gasolin in the crank case for cleaning. Man this engine became even more noisy. But I remembered from engineering school there is always pain before gain. So i let is run, change the oil was black and repeated the oil gas mixture one more time. Let it run for 10 minutes again while holding the FIRE EXTINGUISHER in hand holding the trigger just incase. The oil was still jet black. changed the oil again no gas this time and it had quite down some with some lifter noice only. Made sure my wife had money and sent her to the Mall and increased the RPM to 3500 for 10 minutes and what do you know there is NO FREAKIN NOISE at all. It has 56000 mile but runs like a kitten. Sometimes i think i should have just left the bike rusting in the barn it was in but sucess comes slowly.
have to deal with the brakes and should have a seat on it this week. will let you guys know what is going on. thanks for the reply.
Go Cleveland Indians they are playing The evil empier from the dark side of the galaxy Yankees.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:38 pm

It could have very easily been the oil screen clogged - which eventually was cleaned out by your "solvent" (gasoline).

Please don't encourage people to use gasoline in their crankcase as a solvent - it's extremely dangerous! Seafoam is designed for just this purpose, and works very well without the danger of fire and explosion.

dan1951
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby dan1951 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:21 pm

The gasoline additive probally took 15K. life off the rings and bearings,

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”