Radio Buzzing

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
bradp
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 apsencade

Radio Buzzing

Postby bradp » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:23 pm

I recently purchased a 1985 Honda Aspencade from an individual and I am really happy with it, except the radio has alternator/motor noise in it to the point I can't stand listening to it. Oddly enough, it's worse at higher rpms. The strange thing too is that the noise stops when I apply the brakes/brake lights. Wondering if it could be a voltage issue? At idle, the battery voltage is in the normal range. At higher rpms, the voltage can reach up to 15.3 volts. Is this too high? That it would cause the alternator noise? Does the '85 have an alternator at all or a stator? I know it has a rectifier and regulator. Could this be bad? I have cleaned all the ground contacts I can find thinking it was a grounding issue, no fix. Was thinking of isolating the pos+ wire to the radio directly to the battery and can't seem to find the right wire. Is an inline audio filter the answer? If so, where to put it? Has anyone else had this problem of motor noise in their radio? I sure would like to be able to use the radio...Help.
Thanks.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Radio Buzzing

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:25 pm

This is a common problem. At idle, the stator is not putting out enough power to run the bike, so the bike is actually running off the battery. As RPMs rise, it gradually starts producing more than the bike needs, and some of that is used to charge the battery. Whats left over is shunted to ground and wasted as heat - and it's this process that generates the noise you're hearing.

When you hit your brakes, the power used by the brake lights uses up that little surplus, so the noise goes away.

So there's the cause...I have yet to find a good solution yet.

bradp

Postby bradp » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:43 am

I agree totally with your reply, is there a way to put more drain on the battery consistantly, or would this drain the battery too much? Is it possible the regulator is bad therefore producing more voltage than needed? I really would like to find a solution.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:53 pm

bradp wrote:I agree totally with your reply, is there a way to put more drain on the battery consistantly, or would this drain the battery too much? Is it possible the regulator is bad therefore producing more voltage than needed? I really would like to find a solution.

It's possible the regulator is bad, check the voltage output when the battery is well charged, and the RPM is held at around 3000.

I put a set of driving lights (2x35 watt H4 halogen) and that definitely helped to pull the voltage down a bit, and reduced the noise.

bradp

Postby bradp » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:42 pm

I installed two 50 watt driving lights on the front of the bike. There was a big improvement, but not 100% no noise. Still wondering if the rectifier/generator is going bad though. At idle, the voltage is normal 13.5 to 14 volts. At 2500 rpm to 3000 rmp, the battery is showing up to 15.3 volts without the new driving lights. By turning on the driving lights, the voltage drops back down to just over 14 volts again. Going to try this for a while and see what happens. Saving up the money for a new rect/regulator would be best.

bradp

Postby bradp » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:33 am

I installed a second set of driving lights. The noise is gone now.

tricky

Postby tricky » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:04 am

bradp wrote:I installed a second set of driving lights. The noise is gone now.

Tell me how you manage to ride with two sets of driving lights before the battery goes flat.

The only way I managed to get rid of any intercom noise was to install the external alternator.

I never listen to music on headphones, and this is where most of my noise was experienced. Turning down the intercom control was one way of reducing the noise of course but then the intercom was not operational.

Anything over 14.2 volts made the noise bad. The external alternator is regulated to 14.2, the OEM alternator would push 15v

bradp

Postby bradp » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:49 pm

I don't run both sets of lights for very long. Long enough I believe it may have some drain on the battery and then I shut one set off. It seems to be working for me.

tricky

Postby tricky » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Yes having lights on works for me too but I find it is a pain having to watch the volt meter all the time.

I have an external alternator that I am going to put on this new to me 85 Aspy, after I fix the leaky fork seals which have just ruined a set of pads... weeeelllll what should I expect off a used bike.

I still have my other original bike, it might be in better shape than the one I got, but it looked alright at the time.... yeah

:)

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”