white smoke from pipes

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
trukr
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

white smoke from pipes

Postby trukr » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:14 am

My 84 aspy was running warm last weekend so I decided to change the thermostat and flush the system. Now when I start it cold its fine but if I start it back up when its warm it smokes white for a while then stops. Any suggestions as to what this could be?

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Re: white smoke from pipes

Postby Pam » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:37 am

does it run hot when your are running it hard. I am not sure about a bike but white smoke from the exhaust in a car is usually a head gasket or coolant getting into a cylender. It is possile that once the engine warms up it is sealing it's self off.

frank

SAILOR
Motorcycle: 1984 honda goldwing

Postby SAILOR » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:20 pm

A few months back mine was doing the same thing. It only happened after I had been running for a while, then turned it off, and turned it back on. When I turned it back on lots of white smoke came out, sweet smelling. Turned out it was the head gasket. When I got the heads off the gasket you could tell the gasket was leaking in a couple of spots. Put on new head gaskets and now I don't have the problem.

trukr

Postby trukr » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:41 pm

Thanx sailor, that's kinda what I thought. How big of a job is changing the head gaskets. I have my clymers manual on the way. I'm mostly worried about keeping the timing right when pulling the timing belts.any tricks to keep the timing spot on?

SAILOR
Motorcycle: 1984 honda goldwing

Postby SAILOR » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:26 am

Timing belts are easy. Just verify where they are before you remove the belts. Position your belts on T1 and then mark where each pulley is. Should already be marked. Removing the heads can be a pain because the are kind of glued in place with the old gasket. I position my bike so the head was opposite a tree then placed a small line over the top of the head where it was behind the flange that the carb intakes attached to the head. The line went over both intake flanges. The rope was looped around the tree. I then started twisting the rope like a farmer might do on a fence line corner post. I twisted until the line was really tight so tight it would pull the bike over. I also tied the other bike from the handlebars the other way so the bike would not fall over. Once I had lots of pressure on that line I raped on the head a few times with a rubber hammer, and the head popped off. Remember to leave at least a couple of head bolts in so the head doesn't go flying when it pops off. Good luck.

trukr

Postby trukr » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:50 am

Doesn't sound too bad. I have a few tricks of my own for removing a head. Thanx for the info.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”