84 GL1200A Valve problems

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
CTInspect
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Aspencade

84 GL1200A Valve problems

Postby CTInspect » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:10 am

OK, more than that. New to the site and new again to GW's. Bought this about a month ago, fairly good shape, 29K on it, thought it was taken care of.
Had hesitaion and some pops, after a while I took time to clean and setup carbs. This led to finding lousy vaccum, led to a few other things and in the end, NO compression in 1 cyl. It appears that the Ex valve is open (bent, burned, I dont know yet). I go thru the shop manual and it goes thru taking it all down, Im trying to find some step by step instruction on tappets and adjustments just to further check without taking it all down. Tonight for some reason, Im going to pull the exhaust (the nuts are soaking now) and see if I can see whats going on.
Im not afraid of engines by any means, Im just trying to get more of a laymens instruction. It cant be much more then 2 times half of a 4 cyl car ......
The rocker does go loose, like it should, but the valve must still be open, low pressure air line tells me this.
Am I missing something or should i get my tools out? Believe it or not, I cant believe how decent this ran with this issue. Cant wait to ride after its fixed.
In 6 weeks Im already hooked again on riding, and looking for a second one for days that start with a S.
Thanks for any help
Glenn

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 84 GL1200A Valve problems

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:42 pm

I think if you're seeing 0 compression, and are suspecting an exhaust valve is open, that my next step would be to pull the valve covers. Grab a couple new gaskets (it will likely need them), some oil and a filter to do a change at the same time, and pull the covers. You'll get a good look at what is going on, and be able to adjust the valves at the same time.

CTInspect
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby CTInspect » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:03 pm

Covers are already off, gaskets and so on will be on their way soon. Actually if it has to come apart, I'm doing both sides, the gaskets, timing belts and anything else I come across while im in there.
These are hydrualic, not really adjustable per se. Adjustment is by shim, and checking the tappets. Im trying to find info or instruction that addresses that directly, the manual shows each step but while they are taking the whole engine apart. Even the Haynes book does the same(copied from the manual).
The rocker does get loose, valve not closed, I'm looking more towards bent as opposed to mal adjusted.

Any place to find a step by step just for the valves, tappets and shims? And maybe parts that arent $60 per valve??

tricky

Postby tricky » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:47 am

If a valve is bent, usually this is by either breaking or slipping a tooth or more on the timing belts.
The fact that this bike has so little miles on leans me to suspect that the 25 year old timing belts have not been changed and possibly have degraded enough to cause this problem.

Before pulling the belts check to see if they have jumped a tooth.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”