White Smoke again

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
SAILOR
Motorcycle: 1984 honda goldwing

White Smoke again

Postby SAILOR » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:37 pm

I already changed my headgasket a couple of months ago (less than 1000 miles). Then ran with straight water for the last few months since reduring the heads. Occassionally, not everytime, upon start it would smoke. So I thougt maybe I had a small head gasket leak. Today I decided to drain the water and put in real honda antifreeze. I over filled the raditor overflow in the false take. Now after running and the starting back up it smokes white smoke for about 2 or 3 minutes. Would overfilling the overflow cause the head gaskets to leak more? Would antifreeze blow more smoke than just plain water?

Now when I did the heads I didn't have them plained down. I'm starting to wonder if I should redo the heads again, since I have another set of honda gaskets. But this time have the heads plained down.

I'm planning a big ride in a few weeks 2000+ miles. What woud you do?

trukr
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

Re: White Smoke again

Postby trukr » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:05 pm

Did you retorque your head bolts after riding it for a while to make sure they are staying tight? I was told to do this with mine after my head gasket job. Might be worth a shot instead of having to tear it down again.

SAILOR
Motorcycle: 1984 honda goldwing

Postby SAILOR » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:31 pm

Might be worth a shot.

Roleketu

Postby Roleketu » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:14 pm

Oh my, straight water. It's quite possible the motor overheated badly. Although it's called antifreeze, it's also anti-boil. Plain water in the system is going up against the metal jackets that only centimeters away is a huge flame/explosion in the cylinder. Water boils at 212 F, and those cylinders are far hotter then that. Once water hits 212 it's no longer water, it's steam and it's expanding exponentially. So now you're building up pressure and it's got to go somewhere. Head gaskets, even new gaskets are most likely the weakest link. Something has to give, and I'd guess it's head gaskets again. NEVER ever use plain water, use the proper antifreeze mixture.

starfleetengineer
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:16 am

SAILOR wrote:I already changed my headgasket a couple of months ago (less than 1000 miles). Then ran with straight water for the last few months since reduring the heads. Occassionally, not everytime, upon start it would smoke. So I thougt maybe I had a small head gasket leak. Today I decided to drain the water and put in real honda antifreeze. I over filled the raditor overflow in the false take. Now after running and the starting back up it smokes white smoke for about 2 or 3 minutes. Would overfilling the overflow cause the head gaskets to leak more? Would antifreeze blow more smoke than just plain water?

Now when I did the heads I didn't have them plained down. I'm starting to wonder if I should redo the heads again, since I have another set of honda gaskets. But this time have the heads plained down.

I'm planning a big ride in a few weeks 2000+ miles. What woud you do?

Something to think of. The outside temp can make it look like it's smoking. If the temp and humility are just right, the exhaust will smoke. It's not a bad head gasket. It's normal. It's just water vapor that has turned back into water sitting in the pipes after she cools down. And now that she is heating back up, it turns back into vapor. You see this in cars as well.
NEVER run straight water in an engine :shock: You are just asking to redo the job.
As for over filling the res. bottle, It shouldn't have done anything. The over flow hose goes to the ground. And the rad cap won't let any more coolant in the system than it can hold. You might have had coolant get into the exhaust shields, but it would burn away in about 30 min's.
Good luck. Let us know what you find....

How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”