84 Aspy Starter Switch-FIXED

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
GWLDL
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1983 VT500c Shadow
1980 CanAm QualifierIII

84 Aspy Starter Switch-FIXED

Postby GWLDL » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:35 pm

When I first joined GWD I had a problem with stuck starter switch. Here is that original post.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4872
I took some pictures of the change out of that switch-when I did that work in March, but the camera was dropped (by someone to remain nameless) when it was open, and it did not work. So I finally got the camera to work just long enough to transfer these pictures. Hope that this helps someone else who might have to try this on their GW.

Taking the screw out of the handlebar assembly, was straightforward and easy. Getting the Throttle cables off of the throttle handle was more difficult. I loosened the cables down near the carbs, counting how many turns for each cable. That gave just enough slack to remove the cables. Here's the switch out of the assembly.
84 Aspy Starter switch out of assembly.
84 Aspy Starter switch out of assembly.

There was a metal guard with one screw (on the right) and one plate and screw above the incoming wires into the assembly (on the left), and two screws that hold the switch in place. All had to be removed to get the switch out.
84 Aspy Starter Switch internal hold downs.
84 Aspy Starter Switch internal hold downs.

Then you can bend the screw tabs on either side of the switch, and it will come apart. Careful of the plates and springs inside. Mine did not fly apart-cause it was burnt-but I could see losing one of those springs inside.
84 Aspy Burnt Starter Switch
84 Aspy Burnt Starter Switch

Purchased a whole right handlebar assembly for the Aspy from Ebay. Not too expensive, but not in too good of shape. Good thing that I only needed the lower half of the switch-and it was in good condition
Ebay Right handle bar assembly-not too bad..
Ebay Right handle bar assembly-not too bad..

I was able to clean with MAF Sensor cleaner the other half of the switch (with the contact points on it). Then used some steel wool to clean the copper contacts. It had a lot of "original" grease on it and it was old and sticky.
84 Aspy Starter Switch Plate-needs cleaning.
84 Aspy Starter Switch Plate-needs cleaning.

Grease the switch lower parts and put the halves of the switch back together (should click). Install the switch back into the assembly-with the above hardware. Re-mount the throttle cables, and put the screws back into the assembly.
Finally remember to tighten the throttle cables back to their original position. Done. Insert beer here... 8-)

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Re: 84 Aspy Starter Switch-FIXED

Postby maestro319 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:59 pm

Or maybe even two, eh??

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”