Moving seat forward on a 84 GL Interstate

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
cowboybob
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Moving seat forward on a 84 GL Interstate

Postby cowboybob » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:56 pm

I know that this is a simple procedure and have had the seat off. I know where the lever is located but I can't get the seat to move forward, pushing the lever down or lifting it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Dogmeat
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A

Re: Moving seat forward on a 84 GL Interstate

Postby Dogmeat » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:56 pm

Sounds like the duma flicky is in the thingamabob...
really, you should be able to move it by pulling up.
Can you move it forward or backward at all?
Is the trunk hindering you from movement?
Did you loosen the 2 allen head screws near the rear of the seat to allow movement?
Did you contact your congressmen ?

Try the above mention none wise cracks and see if it works.

EnJoY

cowboybob

Postby cowboybob » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:49 pm

Yeah the first thing I did was call John McCain, he doesn't know any more on what to do than I do.

Yes I have had the seat off and have removed the bolts that hold it in place. The trunk does interfere with it a little but I can raise it 4 to 5 inches. It is as far forward (backward) as the slide will allow it to move. It just doesn't want to move. I think that when I had the seat out before I wanted to move it forward and got disgusted and put it back to where the previous owner had it.

Thanks for the reply, if you have any other I am open for suggestions

bobc

Ride safely.

starfleetengineer
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:55 am

I have an 84 Gl1200 I. The seat latch has a wire spring that rides in the center of the latch. When you pull the seat latch up, the spring must go though the center of the latch so it will raise all the way up. I had a problem with mine till I figured it out. You just have to bow the spring just a little bit to get it to go in. The seat will move front and back then unless you have something else blocking it. I know one time I pinched one of the slider on the side of the seat with the slider bolt. With those bolts tight, the seat will still slide as long as one is not pinched.
How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

cowboybob

Postby cowboybob » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:35 am

Thanks for the info. I knew about the latch and the spring, as I said I have had the seat off of it.

The see will raise 3 to 4 inches but will not slide forward. The allen bolts are seated in the very front of the slide which tells me the seat is as far back as it will go. However I would like to move the seat forward, just doesn't want to move. Guess I will have to remove the seat and check everything else.

Thanks again. Ride safely.

cu

bobc

wrightwing
Motorcycle: ''87 GL1200 Interstate''

Postby wrightwing » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:07 pm

When I first got my bike I tried to move the seat back ,pulling out on the latch , wouldn't budge. Shot some spray lithium on the latch, grabbed it with my index finger and started pulling and wiggiln ,and the latch ended up with a lot of play in it. It was stuck. conclusion! if the latch moves a little bit, you may think it's releasing. Mine now has maybe a half-inch of play
''NEVER TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, BUT ALWAYS TIME TO DO IT OVER''

cowboybob

Postby cowboybob » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:53 pm

Thanks a bunch.

I was pushing the spring down so it would clear the latch, but I didn't push it far enough. Thanks to you information I got a piece of wood that would allow me to get more force on it and guess what. Seat began to work like it was supposed to. I had taken the seat out to some other work and I guess the movement on the latch was enough to do that but not to let it move forward.

Anyway I thank you for the info. Next is to ride it and see if I really wanted it in a different position

cu

bobc

starfleetengineer
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:15 pm

cowboybob wrote:Thanks a bunch.

I was pushing the spring down so it would clear the latch, but I didn't push it far enough. Thanks to you information I got a piece of wood that would allow me to get more force on it and guess what. Seat began to work like it was supposed to. I had taken the seat out to some other work and I guess the movement on the latch was enough to do that but not to let it move forward.

Anyway I thank you for the info. Next is to ride it and see if I really wanted it in a different position

cu

bobc

;) :) Good for you.... Have a good ride. Now it won't be so hard to the seat if you have too.

How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”