Ignition/Electrical problem

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
scmoon
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Ignition/Electrical problem

Postby scmoon » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:31 pm

I charged my battery overnight off of the bike...I believe my stator is failing (85 Aspencade)
Anyway...re-installed battery as usual...hit the starter button and nothing....checked the ignition fuse in the fuse box in the false tank - all fine.
Then I moved down to check my master fuse at the starter solonoid...all was fine but the bottom of the solonoid was burning hot to the touch!
Removed battery as well as disconnected the heavy duty red/black terminal wires off of the solonoid to let it cool down. Checked the 4 wires that are spaded to the 4 connections on top of the solonoid....they appeared fine, but were very warm.
I presume the wire heat is due to resistance and have reworked the connections and taped well to prevent any touching, but what about the solonoid itself? Is there a way to test it with a meter that someone can suggest before I replace it? Is there something else I should be looking at?
When I connected the battery, and turned the ignition key, all dash lights came on as appropriate...there was just nothing at the stater button.

starfleetengineer
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Re: Ignition/Electrical problem

Postby starfleetengineer » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Well. The solonoid shouldn't be burning hot just by turning the key on. Sounds like you have a short in the system. The 4 wires that plug in on the top, looking at it from the top down. 1. is at the upper left. 1. Yellow wire with red tracer, goes to the starter switch. 2. Green wire with red or orange tracer goes to the clutch switch. And also has the clutch switch diode in it. Second row, left side, 3. Red wire, no tracer goes to the ignition switch. 4. Red wire with white tracer goes to the regulator/ rectifier. Unplug this wire and turn your ignition on and see if it heats up again. If it does, then you have found your problem area. I noticed when the bike is running this wire will get hot. From what I can tell, this is the only power wire to the regulator. Also check your stator plug by the battery and make sure it is not melted.
As for the no start, it could be the solonoid, clutch switch and or diode, the kill switch and even the ignition switch. And your starter could have went bad too. Now it is a process of elminatio. As with any job, check it 3 times then do the work.
Let us know what you find.... and good luck!
How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

scmoon

Postby scmoon » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks for the info....I know I need to remove the plug from the stator and solder the 3 yellow wires; My plug is intact but I have seen some "browning" of the yellow wires around the plug and realize that some heating/resistance has been going on.

So is there any particular meter tests I can do on the 4 wires leading to the top of the solonoid in order to narrow my issue down to either the starter, voltage regulator or the solonoid? After re-working my wiring and re-installing the battery - ignition lights up, displays are fine, no heat at solonoid, but no click from there either when starter button is pushed. Headlight dime appropriately, but still not a peep out of the starter motor.

Thank you as always to the Wing experts on here, to those of us a little less informed.....and thank you WingAdmin for all that you do!!
I trust everyone enjoyrd their Canada Day / Independance Day holiday....I just wish I was riding!!!

starfleetengineer
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:14 pm

Sounds pretty simple. First. Take a test light and see if you have power to the red with yellow wire when you push the starter button. If not, you have a bad switch or wire. If you have power, then remove the green and red wire and ground the termanal and try and start it. If it turns over, most likely you have a bad clutch diode. If nothing, Jump the starter with a hot wire from the battery. You do not need the key on and be sure she is in neutral. If still nothing, then you have a bad starter. Like I said, simple test. Let me know what you find out..

Rick

scmoon

Postby scmoon » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:52 pm

Hi, Rick.

Thanks for the info...here are my findings..
Starter worked fine and started bike when I used a jumper from battery to starter terminal.
Dash lights are all functional including neutral light...no difference whether I pull in the clutch.
Starter button is working as headlight dims, but no sound from starter.
After hooking up the battery and ensuring all 4 wires are fine on the solonoid....I am left with the solonoid which is no longer heating up but not passing current to the starter. The dog bone fuse has been replaced with an in-line 30amp bayonet fuse and the ignition fuse in the fuse box inside the false tank is fine....with no click from the damn thing I am left to assume that the solonoid has failed. I will order an OEM part from dealer on Monday. At least it wasn't the starter, thank god! Should I also be checking the voltage regulator? Where do I use the multi-meter to check this?
Thanks for the assistance!

Simon

starfleetengineer
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:31 am

The only 2 things I would check after you get her running is make sure you don't have a big voltage draw with the key off. And you have 14+ volts at 2,500+ rpm's. Good job tracking everything down! :)

scmoon

Postby scmoon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:07 pm

Happy to announce my Wing is back on the road. Replacement solenoid arrived today..(love the newer design with the bayonet 30amp fuse incorporated into the unit itself) no dog-bone and no home remedy of wiring one in myself. Installed, hit starter button, immediate purr....ahhhh!
Took this downtime as an opportunity to finally solder my 3 yellow wires and dispose of the stator connection plug, as well as installing a modulator on my headlight high beam as a safety measure.

starfleetengineer
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:29 am

scmoon wrote:Happy to announce my Wing is back on the road. Replacement solenoid arrived today..(love the newer design with the bayonet 30amp fuse incorporated into the unit itself) no dog-bone and no home remedy of wiring one in myself. Installed, hit starter button, immediate purr....ahhhh!
Took this downtime as an opportunity to finally solder my 3 yellow wires and dispose of the stator connection plug, as well as installing a modulator on my headlight high beam as a safety measure.

:D :D :D :D :D GOOD JOB :D :D :D :D :D

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”