FUEL RUNS OUT WHEN HOT

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
steve1163
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

FUEL RUNS OUT WHEN HOT

Postby steve1163 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:16 pm

I have a problem that has me stumped. A few weeks ago in stop and go traffic 95 degrees it started running very rough and fuel was pouring out the right side fo the carbs couldnt tell for sure but I assume it was coming out of the relief tube, pulled over and shut it doun for no more than two minutes, when i restarted it acted like the bowls where empty till the pump filled the bowls and it ran fine for another 20 minutes in the same traffic and it did it again. After a few minutes restarted and all was fine till tonight and it did it again.
Everytime it was hot outside the temp gauge was reading 6-7 bars.
Rebuilt carbs earlier this year with new float valves also fuel pump is an aftermarket pump (Bestest) 2-4 psi max.
I am not sure where to start, thought mabye pulse generators but would not account for the fuel freeflow, fuel pump pressure too high? but only happens when temps are high bike runs great the rest of the time(I ride this bike all the time 90-100 miles a day for work and 2-300 for fun on the weekends just came back from a 2500 mile vacation with out a single problem)But I am worried that it will catch fire one of these days and we still have a lot of hot weather left.

Thanks
Steve

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: FUEL RUNS OUT WHEN HOT

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:41 am

steve1163 wrote:I have a problem that has me stumped. A few weeks ago in stop and go traffic 95 degrees it started running very rough and fuel was pouring out the right side fo the carbs couldnt tell for sure but I assume it was coming out of the relief tube, pulled over and shut it doun for no more than two minutes, when i restarted it acted like the bowls where empty till the pump filled the bowls and it ran fine for another 20 minutes in the same traffic and it did it again. After a few minutes restarted and all was fine till tonight and it did it again.
Everytime it was hot outside the temp gauge was reading 6-7 bars.
Rebuilt carbs earlier this year with new float valves also fuel pump is an aftermarket pump (Bestest) 2-4 psi max.
I am not sure where to start, thought mabye pulse generators but would not account for the fuel freeflow, fuel pump pressure too high? but only happens when temps are high bike runs great the rest of the time(I ride this bike all the time 90-100 miles a day for work and 2-300 for fun on the weekends just came back from a 2500 mile vacation with out a single problem)But I am worried that it will catch fire one of these days and we still have a lot of hot weather left.

Thanks
Steve

I think you've actually given the answer - rebuilt carbs with new float valves. I think at least one of your float valves is sticking open. When this happens fuel will pour out of the carb like you describe. The engine is choking on fuel and running far too rich, which is why it runs rough. When you try to restart, it's not acting as if the bowls were empty - they were still overflowing and the cylinders washed with gas, giving you far too rich a mixture. As you crank, it gradually drains the fuel to the point where you get a fuel/air mixture that will ignite, and it starts back up.

If you can get it to happen again, give the carbs on the right side a sharp rap with the handle of a screwdriver or something similar to see if you can get a float valve to free up, and see if it solves the problem.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”