Fuel System warning light

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Maddin
Motorcycle: 1985 Gl1200 LTD

Fuel System warning light

Postby Maddin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:52 pm

I have an 85 LTD and have a issue with the Fuel System Warning Light in that the warning light will light up while riding. There is no change in the performance of the bike and if I shut the bike off and restart, everything is fine. Seems to occur when there is around half a tank of fuel left and seldom occurs immediately after refueling. Anyone else experience problems with the fuel system warning light. I replaced the fuel filter thinking that the filter may be causing flow problems, no change. I have no idea what is causing the light to come on. Think it might be a fault with the fuel tank venting???? Any suggestions?

Tom

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Fuel System warning light

Postby dingdong » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:46 am

Inside the gas tank there is an electrical component call a thermistor. While submersed in the fuel it is cooled. When the fuel gets low enough the thermistor is out of the fuel and heats up causing it to "short out". Turning the low fuel light on. I'd say it was failing.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”