Motor oil

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
midnightrider1
Motorcycle: 1985 1200 Goldwing Interstate

Motor oil

Postby midnightrider1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:06 pm

What brands of motor oil can I run in my 1985 Interstate I know it has a wet clutch and to get lol from Honda is a 100 mile round trip or better. I see some really expensive stuff at the auto parts like $9.00 per quart and also saw Valvoline 10W-40 but its for ATV and says it for use with a wet clutch but I couldn't find no Valvoline for a motorcycle so would the ATV be the same ? I have a small leak I need to fix this winter I have my wing up and running boy its been road hard and put up wet and I am about to get all the wrinkles iron out of it. Just riding it around town here for now. Needs new tires pretty soon. I see JC Whitney has some tires anywhere I go to get tires or anything like that is a 100 mile round trip and my SUV like to eat gas and my poor old Social security say slow down some bud. LOL :D

Frank

midnightrider1
Motorcycle: 1985 1200 Goldwing Interstate

Re: Motor oil

Postby midnightrider1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:49 pm

midnightrider1 wrote:What brands of motor oil can I run in my 1985 Interstate I know it has a wet clutch and to get lol from Honda is a 100 mile round trip or better. I see some really expensive stuff at the auto parts like $9.00 per quart and also saw Valvoline 10W-40 but its for ATV and says it for use with a wet clutch but I couldn't find no Valvoline for a motorcycle so would the ATV be the same ? I have a small leak I need to fix this winter I have my wing up and running boy its been road hard and put up wet and I am about to get all the wrinkles iron out of it. Just riding it around town here for now. Needs new tires pretty soon. I see JC Whitney has some tires anywhere I go to get tires or anything like that is a 100 mile round trip and my SUV like to eat gas and my poor old Social security say slow down some bud. LOL :D

Frank

Forgot about the other auto parts 4 blocks up the street never go there cause usually he high dollar on his stuff being right on the square in town here. But I bought 2 quarts of 10 W-40 motorcycle oil to have here to use when needed.

Frank

dnehasert
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 with Watsonian sidecar

Re: Motor oil

Postby dnehasert » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:56 pm

Any auto oil 10w-40 or 20w-50 works fine. Dino oil or synthetic. Many people use Shell Rotella 15w-40 or Delvac 10w-40. I have used Castrol 4t motorcycle oil I bought at Autozone and other places. Depends what you prefer. Synthetic works very well but is expensive, I've used it but went back to dino oil because of the cost. Doug

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”