Choosing clutch plates for replacement

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
panthernut9
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade

Choosing clutch plates for replacement

Postby panthernut9 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:42 pm

Hello all,

Been browsing the site now for a bit, trying to assure that I have everything needed to do a replacement of my clutch plates and basically rebuild the entire clutch assembly.

I am riding a 1984 GL1200 Aspencade with around 42000 plus miles on it. Recently, OK it started about 2 months back, went on a long ride with some friends and was starting up a steep canyon in my area. Upon hitting the steepest grade of the canyon, the RPM's skyrocketed and it felt like the bike had lost all power. Long story short I have bled the clutch and checked around the WWW and here first. From what I can tell the clutch plates are worn and it is time to replace them. There has also been times where I have been sitting at a red light on level surface and release the brake handle and the bike will creep forward, like the clutch is not quite engaged completely. More often than not, the slippage or the RPM's reving higher and losing power happens at random and mostly when there is torque applied. It's gotta be the clutch plates right?

My question(SSS) are as follows:

1) Finding the correct clutch plates. I have found some ranging from around $45 and up to around $120. What is the best to go with?
2) The center clutch plate the clutch damper that is to be different than the rest of the plates(from what I gather anyway), do you have to find this seperately or should each clutch kit come with it?
3) Do I need to get a complete engine gasket kit, or can I get away with just a clutch cover gasket?
4) I am thinking that while I am at replacing the clutch plates, should I also rebuild the clutch master cylinder? I believe that I will anyway as I am a perfectionist when it comes to my bike. I might as well right? It would only take about another hour or so. If it goes as planned.
5) I have read several posts of people doing this job with the engine in the frame and some pulling the engine. This question is aimed at those that have done it with the engine in. Was it harder to get the plates in or was it just like I envision, slow, easy and tedious? But it will work?
6) What special tools are needed? I believe that I have all that is necessary, until I get started and need that one. (LOL)
7) Any suggestions or recommendations from anyone? Experience is power and knowledge is strength.

Thanks all in advance. . .

IT'S ONLY MAGIC WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW HOW IT WORKS! ! !

panthernut9

Re: Choosing clutch plates for replacement

Postby panthernut9 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:07 am

Well maybe just what you have used? Everyone busy riding? :lol:

peppilepew
Motorcycle: 2000 Gl1500 Se
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Postby peppilepew » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:37 am

i wouldn't be so quick to condemn the plates. I had a similar situation that turned out to be a clogged vent hole in the master. It could now be the plates since there has been some heat buildup from extreme slippage. Remove your master cover and look for a small crater located forward in the reservoir. Check for corrosion or debris blocking the return of fluid. There is a very small pin hole sized vent. There should be an upward stream of fluid when releasing the clutch. I am not saying your clutches are good. You may have two problems. Replacing the plates on this machine is quite easy. You won't need a basket to align the plates. A small blunt ended chisel and a small hammer will allow you to make the plates rotate while under pressure from the plate apply spring. Soak them in STP to make them rotate even easier. You must get them aligned very closely by eye.

panthernut9

Postby panthernut9 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:53 pm

Thanks, I did bleed the master till I had new fluid coming out the petcock towards the clutch. The fluid is very clear and can see the bottom. I can see the fluid going in and out when pumping the lever. Have the plates soaking right now, as I type. :P But I am soaking them in the oil I use for the motor ? ? ? You say STP, is there a specific reason for that and not the oil that I use?

peppilepew
Motorcycle: 2000 Gl1500 Se
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Postby peppilepew » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:30 am

If you have a basket to align the clutches in then just use oil. If you dont have a basket to prealign the clutches then you will have to make slight adjustments to the clutch to allow the assy to drop into the basket. STP will allow the plates to move easier. it will dilute away once you get a few applications to to clutch.

panthernut9

Postby panthernut9 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks I'll remember that for next time, on the next ride I get. I don't plan on having to do this one in my ownership again. I lined them up pretty well with a little patience and a ruler. Seemed to work fine.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”