wont start 86 interstate

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
ACEWINGER
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200 interstate

wont start 86 interstate

Postby ACEWINGER » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:26 pm

I was out riding today and noticed that every time I pulled in the clutch, the neutral light would come on??? Once we arrived at our first stop. I put in neutral, and shut the engine off. About a half hour later when I tried to start it I got nothing but a CLICK from a large relay to the right of the battery. I had dash lights, head lights and the battery meter showed a full charge. I put it in first gear and push started it and it ran fine all the way home. Parked it and again the clicking was all I got. I have ordered a cylmer manual but it wont arrive till ???? If you know what the problem might be please your advice would be very welcomed.

ACEWINGER

Re: wont start 86 interstate

Postby ACEWINGER » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:01 pm

OK I tried tapping the starter with a hammer and after doing some research, have found the dogbone fuse was replace with a 30amp blade fuse. I put a volt meter on the battery and it read 12.65 volts hit the start button and the voltage did not fall which leads me to believe the relay is bad. Can I jump across the "main wires" to see if it fires???

Bbwelder
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200

Postby Bbwelder » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:35 pm

First check the output side of the starter relay

ACEWINGER

Postby ACEWINGER » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:48 pm

Did that and got 12.45 volts thru the relay. Thank you and keep em comming cause I am STUCK :?:

Oh yes another symtom was when it first wouldnt start it did barely turn over on first try then after then just the relay click

ACEWINGER

Postby ACEWINGER » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:26 pm

OKAY again after HOURS of research I found this little tidbit from JEEPER!!
With the negative lead of the test light, or meter, connected to the negative side of the battery, put the test probe on the nut on the side of the starter where the power wire connects. Push the start button and watch the light. If it lights up, then the starter is getting power, the solenoid is working and the starter is bad. You can attempt a rebuild as outlined on this site, or purchase new for about $75 online. Well I did just that and I have power to the starter and so according to this My starter is toast!!!!! Thank you JEEPER for the info. Now to find out how to get the bugger of the bike

ACEWINGER

Postby ACEWINGER » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:26 pm

Update! starter arrived today! along with a cylmar manual. HOLY smokes! the manual says to do the repair while on the center stand! I have been reading this is NOT the way to do it. They also say remove the shifter,the exhaust, engine gaurd and support the motor with a jack. I am thinking this is a bit extreme from the looks of things. Seems to be safest to use the side stand, so the chain dont come off. I will remove the shifter, the exhaust and the one exhaust stud and see if It gives me enough room.

Anyone have anything to add before I begin, please feel free to. THANKS

trukr
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

Postby trukr » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:28 pm

I just replaced the starter on my gl1200. Of course after I tried to rebuild the old one which was toast. All I did was drop the exhaust, take off the shifter, and put it on its side stand. No problems, even with having to remove the old starter again. Good luck.

ACEWINGER

Postby ACEWINGER » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:11 pm

Thanks I'll side stand it and try to get it off without removing the stud. Tomorrow I either ride or cuss a lot :lol:

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”