GL1200 - no electrics

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Ced
Motorcycle: GL1200 Interstate

GL1200 - no electrics

Postby Ced » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:33 pm

Last week the LHS rear light (and rear side lights on the luggage box) failed. The right hand side and main trunk light is still working. The 'rear light' warning light on the dash came on. Today I decided to see if I could trace the problem. With the ignition on (so that the working lights were on) I prodded about with a tester to see if I could locate the problem. I couldn't - so gave up.

I then tried to run the bike. Despite working perfectly well before I started fiddling (!), when I turned the ignition switch on nothing happened at all. No dash lights, no starter. It's just dead.

I guess I must have shorted something and blown a fuse. I've checked the 30amp main fuse (which has recently been replaced with a blade type) and all the fuses in the dummy tank fuse box. All are fine. Is there a fuse hidden away somewhere or can anyone suggest anything else, please?

From this posting you may guess I am not an electrical genius - so a reply in 'idiots guide' language would be very much appreciated. Thanks in anticipation of any help.

SCSDK
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 Interstate

Re: GL1200 - no electrics

Postby SCSDK » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:58 am

Hi,
under the left hand side compartment there are two fuses, I'm not quite sure what the are for, but check them out. One 7,5 Amp and one 20 Amp.
If you remove the cover and loosen the four screws holding the tray, you gain access to the fuses.
Hope this will solve your problem.
Søren
GW 1200 Interstate

tricky

Postby tricky » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:22 am

The Red wire from the replaced 30 amp blade fuse goes to the ignition switch.

Trace the loom of wires from the IGN switch, they go to an 8 pin connector on the inner right wall of the fairing.
pull the connector apart and test for voltage on the red wire on the part that is connected to the fairing.

If you have 12 volts there I would test the IGN switch.

If you don't have 12 v at the red wire then do a thorough check of the solenoid wiring, if the PO has rewired, some of the connections may have come apart if they weren't done correctly. Solder and heat shrink then wrap
Attachments

Ghostrider52005
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LTD, 1984 GL1200 Interstate, VS 700 Suzuki Intruder.

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:59 pm

You dont say which year your bike is but if it is an 84 there is an open recall on the ignition switch that is active even if you arent the original owner that concerns the switch base being faulty and cutting power to the entire bike.
There is also depending on what model a second subfuse in addtion to the dog bone fuse you replaced with a blade that is under the false tank and inline on the wiring harness. coming from the battery.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”