wheephole leakage clutch cover slave cylinder

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
panthernut9
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade

wheephole leakage clutch cover slave cylinder

Postby panthernut9 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:59 pm

Just replaced the clutch plates and rebuilt the clutch master cylinder. Things went great! Aside from the patience of creating the tool for the crosshair nut! (Butchered 2 sockets but finally got it! :evil: ) Anyhow everything went relatively smooth, did it by the book and with the help of the pages here at goldwingdocs.com. WOOHOO hooray for all of you that have conquered these machines before me. :lol:

I just went for a test ride and everything was super smooth. Kept smelling burning oil, thought well I was messy and she needs a bath after a job like that. :ugeek: Pull up to get some petro and upon further inspection at the fueling depot, I see a small puddle of oil. Of course the spray has covered the rear tire and viola, there is my burning oil smell. So I nurse it home, and pull out the rag. Shazaam! The wheephole between the clutch cover plate and the slave cylinder is leaking. I shut off the motor and the leaking stops, I turn the motor on and after it warms up, drip, drip. She's got the drips! :mrgreen: Not a drop of oil has fallen out of this machine since owning it, unless of course I have something to do with it. :P

So questions are:
Did I fill it with too much oil? 4 3/4qts went in and that registered as full, even after a few cranks prior to ignition. After fire it up, and checking the oil, it still shows full.
If it was to full of oil, would it necessarily come out there?

I did not change the seal on the slave cylinder as it did not appear to be damaged and still looked good, would the seal be bad and cause this leak on the slave cylinder? And if so wouldn't it leak when the engine was off as well? Or the force of the motor oil flowing and such cause this to only leak when running?

I know, I know lots of questions but. . . :o

IT'S ONLY MAGIC WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW HOW IT WORKS! ! !

panthernut9

Re: wheephole leakage clutch cover slave cylinder

Postby panthernut9 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:08 pm

panthernut9 wrote:The wheephole between the clutch cover plate and the slave cylinder is leaking.

Picture just in case.
Attachments
Wheephole slave cylinder clutch plate
Wheephole slave cylinder clutch plate

panthernut9

Postby panthernut9 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:47 pm

OK so I am a complete IDIOT :o :shock:

I put the pushrod in backwards :?

Reversed it and just went for another ride and viola, no leakage!

Duh-me once again! :roll:

Evlmechanic
Motorcycle: 1987 Honda GL1200 Aspencade

Postby Evlmechanic » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:07 pm

I picked up an '87 GL1200 about a year ago. I also noticed a small oil leak, but only when I had the bike parked on a slight incline on my driveway. When I tried to find the leak at that time, I could not locate it.

The other day, I got the bike up on the jack, and as I was cleaning it, I noticed the leak again. This bike is also leaking from the weep hole between the clutch slave cylinder, and the clutch cover, but, the difference is, I haven't removed any of the clutch assembly since I bought the bike, so I couldn't have caused the leak.

I read that you removed the clutch slave cylinder, and reversed the pushrod, and your leak seemed to go away, but I have to wonder why the oil would come out of the weep hole in the first place, other than, (as logic dictates, and as you stated), it may be overfilled with oil, but I haven't overfilled my bike, and yet, it exhibits exactly the same symptoms.

I am assuming, since noone replied to your original post, that noone will reply this time either. I think I might just pick up a slave cylinder rebuild kit from sabrecycle.com, and see if that fixes the problem.

I will be sure to post my results, as soon as I have finished rebuilding it.

Please, wish me luck!

trukr
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

Postby trukr » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:30 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but last I checked the gl1200 only held 3.4 quarts of oil and you said you put in 4.75 quarts? Did you check the oil level with the bike on the center stand or side stand? It needs to be on the center stand to check the oil level.if not your bike may be over full and might cause a problem.

panthernut9

Postby panthernut9 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:42 pm

trukr wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong but last I checked the gl1200 only held 3.4 quarts of oil and you said you put in 4.75 quarts? Did you check the oil level with the bike on the center stand or side stand? It needs to be on the center stand to check the oil level.if not your bike may be over full and might cause a problem.

I believe you are correct if you are doing a standard oil change. I did however do a clutch replacement and that holds some residual amount of oil. I added oil in increments until the dipstick (me :o ) showed full. That's what it came out to.
:?

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”